News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trailer Hitch

Started by Wirenut, 2021-10-17 19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

I took this off of a 58 Ranchero bumper. I have never seen a hitch lke this. I thought it was interesting. It was not connected to the frame, it looks to have an adjustment and a quick connect pin. No logo visible but doesn't look to be home made. Anyone seen one before?

SkylinerRon

Maybe a small boat or utility trailer. Never seen this one though but, there were some weird ones made years ago before the ball types became standard.
Hit it with a media blast and post some more pix.

Ron.

hiball3985

I have never seen that type either. Back in my younger days I would go to the rental yard for an engine hoist or a small trailer and they had ball hitches that clamped onto the bumper, I guess those are history too, I wish I had one now.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I've installed hitches on several cars and trucks.  A few were for the application but most were custom.  Give me a chrome drawbar and I'll make it fit anything.  I used my last spare chrome drawbar on the Raunch Wagon.  I haven't found any chrome drawbars at any of this summer's swap meets or garage sales.  I'm looking for one for install on the '65 Galaxie.

PIC:  Raunch Wagon install.

SkylinerRon

Shock absorbing bumpers killed the bumper hitch.

Ron.

hiball3985

And now we don't even have bumpers, just plastic crap that cost a small fortune to fix if you do bump something  :005:.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Found one for the '65.  Bought the whole car.

John Palmer

Sorry, I do not have any photos of my install.

I built a receiver style hit for my Ranch Wagon several years ago.  Like the previous comments, I found nothing "pre-made" available any longer.  I wanted to pull one of my vintage camper trailers and needed something that could carry a couple of hundred pounds of tongue weight.  The Class 1 style hitches that bolt onto the bumper would work great for a motorcycle/small utility trailer with very light tongue weight, but they get really sketchy with a larger trailer.  The issue is not really the bumper, it's the very light material and size used for the original rear frame cross member.

I found a DrawTite receiver Hitch Kit on eTrailer.com.  They offer free shipping on a $100 minimum order.  The kit is entirely welded in the middle, and is extra long (wide) and the end plates are loose.  They offered a couple of different shape end plates.  I was able to flip flop them around to get the drop and reach needed for my application, then trimmed the extra off.  I was able to closely tuck it under the bumper.  I did weld a small tab on, to bolt it to the center of the frame cross member.  The side plates bolt in the bumper bracket holes.

You need to address the soft rear spring suspension if you carry any extra trailer tongue weight.  Air Springs, air bags would be my suggestion so you can adjust for the load.  Using very stiff leaf springs is not a good "adjustable" solution.  I had air shocks on my wagon when I purchased it, but that's not a good way to carry any extra weight.  The OE stock shock mount is marginal. 

Wire it with a seven way light plug so you can use electric trailer brakes.

John

Contibob

I remember many many years ago you could rent hitches that would clamp to the bumper of a car. I did this several times. I had a 69 Continental Mark III. I clamped and tightened the hitch to my bumper only. Hooked up a car trailer to it and drove two hours to pick up another Mark III. Loaded the Car on the trailer tightened it down and drove home two hours without any problems what so ever. Didn't stretch or twist my Mark bumper at all. Now there are so many restrictions. Recently I had to borrow my Brother in laws F350 just to rent a uhaul trailer that the Mark probably wouldn't even fit on.

hiball3985

I use to rent small trailers and even a car hauler one time with just a bumper hitch that the rental yard would install. Similar to this one. I like the idea of not having a permanent set up.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-10-30 06:35
I use to rent small trailers and even a car hauler one time with just a bumper hitch that the rental yard would install. Similar to this one. I like the idea of not having a permanent set up.

I had a similar one, but it was attached to a long bar which clamped more outward near the bumper guards.  I used one like pictured on a 49, pulling a tamden axle u-haul.  I guess that really dates me.
Terry