News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anybody ever Re&Re a FE with FPA headers attached ?

Started by 59meteor, 2021-09-10 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Thinking that I will be pull the 428 out of my 59 over the winter, wondering if anybody has done a Re & Re of a FE in a 57 thru 59 Ford car, with one, or both sides of FPA headers still bolted on? These are the FPA headers specifically for 57-59 cars with a FE engine. Kinda looks like they SHOULD, hoping maybe somebody has actually tried this.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

glr7533

I put the 390 in my 57 with both FPA headers on the engine. Went in without any problem. I would think that a couple of the bottom header bolts would be a real pain to get out with the engine in the car.

59meteor

Quote from: glr7533 on 2021-09-28 20:34
I put the 390 in my 57 with both FPA headers on the engine. Went in without any problem. I would think that a couple of the bottom header bolts would be a real pain to get out with the engine in the car.
Thanks, that`s good to hear. Considering how wide the fenders are on my 59, and how narrow the hood opening to the engine compartment is, I was hoping to be able to Re&Re the 428 with the headers bolted up. When I installed the engine a few years ago, I had the front "nose" sheetmetal off, so there was plenty of room. Plus being a 428 Cobra Jet, there are 4 exhaust bolts for each port, so I have 30 bolts holding the headers on, (2 holes are simply not possible to install the bolts into, due to tight bends obstructing them). Being able to access the header bolts on an engine hoist will make my back much happier! Thanks again.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

Just to update, today I pulled the 428CJ out of my 59, with both side FPA headers still bolted up. I removed the Toploader 4 speed first, but the clutch and bell housing was still attached when I pulled the engine. Since I want to do a few minor repairs, and repaint some of the front of the frame, I chose to remove the front sheet metal clip, but I see no reason why removing the engine like this with the nose on would be an issue.

lalessi1

Lynn