News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

trip to pick a part = hydro boost questions

Started by terry_208, 2022-06-04 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I read somewhere that the hydro boost units from 99-2004 were the same, is that correct?  My trip to P-a-P netted the following results: Mustang GT, convertibles a 97, a 98, and a 2003 (strange all had manual trans). There was a 2000 sedan/non-convertible that someone had disassembled the boost from the master.

Which year(s) would make the best candidate?  Would the pressure requirements be met by the early, "62's 850 psi and 3 gpm, pump?

As always, Thanks for the replies!   
Terry

RICH MUISE

I don't think all Mustangs had hydro-boost, only the GTs and Cobras. That sedan may have had a regular vacumn booster. I was told many years ago that I needed the bore size of the 2001 up. That's what I went with, from a '01 Mustang Cobra car. Worked out good for me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I used a '97 Mustang GT hydraulic booster and master cylinder on my Ranch Wagon.  I used a '64 Galaxie PS steering box and control valve ('64 Galaxie pressure was around 1000 psi).  I also used a Windsor engine with a later model PS pump (about 1200 psi).  The power steering and power disc brakes worked great with no issues.  The lower pressure of the '62 Galaxie Eaton pump will work.  The worst condition might be a slight more effort in the steering and brake pedal so you might need a higher pressure pump.  This system is pretty forgiving and I think it will work.  I would be more concerned if you attempted to use a high pressure GM pump.

terry_208

Rich,
All four of those listed had hydro boost units.  The convertibles were all GTs, unsure about the sedan. I wasn't sure if my memory was correct about the 99-04 units being the same.

Gary,
We've spoken before about the 64 ps being a direct bolt in.  The 62 was also a direct bolt in.  My problem is that I was unable to obtain the ram for the 62.  Does your 64 ps also use a ram as opposed to a powered gear?  I find several of the "pencil" power steering pumps as well as the later ones.
Terry

RICH MUISE

I'm curious if the sedan still had an engine in it, and if so was it a version of a 4.6? I only ask to help verify/disclaim what I said about not all Mustangs having a hydoboost. My comment about bore size of course was in reference to the master, not the boosters in question. For what it's worth, when I was checking on a rebuild o-ring kit for boosters many years ago, the same kits were referencing both Ford and GM usage, so that kinda goes along with what Gary is saying about being sorta universal.

terry_208

I am certain it had a 4.6 but will check again when I return to actually acquire a hydro boost.  Of course, that would be the easiest to remove as the only thing holding it in are where the ps lines are bolted down and where the line attaches to the ps reservoir.  The people/person that disassembled it also removed part of the dash and the column.   
Terry

RICH MUISE

For what it's worth... I just noticed mine has some numbers cast into the boost body at the top center between the input port and the pressure canister....484A with a 2 behind/above it.

terry_208

I posted a fabrication when I said the one car was a sedan.  Upon returning to P-a-P I discovered the car that I thought was a sedan was actually a GT convertible.  I now have a 99 hydro booster and master cylinder.  While I had the I took the complete unit removed, I took the opportunity to remove the distribution block for the brakes.  I was out the door for a total of $56. 

This brings me to another question. Did others have problems plumbing the brakes?  I understand I may have problems plumbing the ps pump to the unit. What will be the major problems?
Terry

RICH MUISE

Lots of plumbing is involved there as it has 2 systems involved. The brakes are pretty straightforward, but be aware you can't bench bleed those masters. Note that there are 2 bleeder valves on the master cylinder. I recommend you make a jar/lid with two hoses so you can bleed both at the same time.
As far as the power steering/power supply side of it, check KYBlueOvals build thread. some of his last posts on that Ranchero build were getting input on the plumbing of the hydroboost system. If you're needing special fittings for your lines, keep www.purechoicmotorsports.com in mind. They have anything you may need for metric to AN adapters. If I remember correctly, the hydroboost is metric, but not 100% sure.
When you get around to the bleeding part on the PS system, have a digital thermometer handy. If there is air in the system, the unit will get very hot. Should be room temp. to the touch after bleeding.
You will need two return lines to the PS reservoir. I had a ss reservoir custom made, I think John went with a "Y" in the lines, not sure. Rack and pinion, or power steering box?
As I mentioned, check John's thread as we discussed recently the hydroboost system in depth.
Another thought.....you'll have to decide if you want a power steering fluid cooler. Mine is in front of the A/C condenser. It of course adds to the plumbing.
Also, are you including a proportioning valve? I used a Wilwood for my front/rear discs. I don't know what your brake system is.

RICH MUISE

oops! Hydroboost discusion is not in John's build thread.
https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.0