News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

air bags on a 57'?

Started by milo1957, 2008-11-29 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

milo1957

has anybody ever air bagged their 57?  i wanna lower my car....  have seen alot of guys that can put their car in the grass at shows with airbags.  just wondered how hard it is to get done?

KidKourier

milo1957,   Check in the gallery section for a pic of a yellow '57 Ranchero or the yellow/white DelRio wagon,both are running airbags!If they don't jump in on your question go to Members section(look for custom57 or billylong roof) and E-mail them.Both were very helpfull on questions I had on their suspension mods including using airbags on front with rack & pinion steering. Hope this helps! KID

johns2000

I would like to know how this is done also with stock A-arms?

Lou

John, the air bags replaced the coil springs. Ford had a airbag set up as a option in 1958. (as did Caddy) Air bags are great for show but prove to be a problem when the miles start to add up.

johns2000

Lou

I know they replace the coil springs, I was thinking more the Air ride technology stuff which I think you have to use different A-arms? I didn't know they offered air bags in the 50's though, I'm wanting it more for the nice ride you achieve as opposed to the Slam effect!!

rockymountaincustom

check out 57 conv.resto-mod in members rides. I used air ride tech components. When I started on the project it eas going to be a simole air ride set up, it evolved from there, but air ride has some nice generic kits that will fit your application. a bag system that bolts to the top of the rear leaf springs and a bag that will replace the front coil.

rmk57

I'd like to know how you get the rear lower. Remove some leafs?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rockymountaincustom

The air ride tech kit says you are to take all the springs out except the main spring with the eyes. If I were to do this, I would buy or build a nice set of shackles. I have a set of billet shackles from Gear head cruisers that I never used. They look nice and I am sure would tighten up the rear end alot.

Lou

"The air ride tech kit says you are to take all the springs out except the main spring with the eyes."

This is a really bad idea!! 

rockymountaincustom

I decided not to use the generic system and build a 4-link with bags, but I think airride techs over spring setup would work just fine. the main spring is all that holds things in place to begin with. the rest of the springs are there for the ride height and weight of the car. No way it would work by itself in a performance application but for cruisin I think it would be just fine.

Lou

With a stock 57 rear springs if you brake the main leaf (which I have done) in most cases the other leafs will hold the car up and hold the springs in place, enabling you to get home, or at least off the road. With just the one main leaf the body is going to come down on the tire or worse buckle and slide back. Before everyone jumps on me, yes I know the airbag will support most of the cars weight, but it will also let the rear end housing move up and down much more than the shocks would. Your speed at the time of the spring braking will tell you how much damage you will do to the body. When I broke the spring on my car I was near my home and turning into a street so I was only going about 10 MPH. I was able to drive home with only minor tire rub.

JPotter57

Quote from: Lou on 2008-12-02 01:40
This is a really bad idea!! 

I totally, 100% agree with you Lou.  I have disassembled a leaf pack to find that the main leaf was broken, which explained the sagging rear, lower on one side.  I am not inclined to the "bagged" look, but if I were, I would probably go the route that Rockymountain did, the custom 4 link.  I would not under any circumstances run only the main leaf in a heavy car like the `57.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

The spring pack also controls the torque of the axle housing when accelerating and braking, also pushes and pulls the frame when power or braking is applied.  A single leaf would be hard pressed to do these jobs correctly and over the long haul.  I also vote "no" to removing all the leaves except the main one.

John

lotsafords

Any consideration given to Mono Leaf which can be built not only lower but also to provide the stability.  Used one on my 29 A roadster P/U some years ago and it worked well.
Jack

Lou

A 29 Roadster is about haft the weight of a 57 Ford. Mono springs were used on the Chevy Nova at one point, they are not as heavy as a 57 Ford and the springs proved to be a problem.