News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

placement of trunk seal

Started by terry_208, 2023-01-29 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

Where should the trunk seal seat when the trunk is closed? mine sits on top of the inside lip of the channel surrounding the trunk.  By the seal sitting on this lip, the trunk lid doesn't fully close. I wonder if my seal is mis=placed on the trunk lid or perhaps the seal is too thick. 
Terry

RICH MUISE

I don't know if you have the seal on correctly without pics, but it IS hitting where it's supposed to. Didn't we recently have a thread with pics on this topic?
How long has the seal been on the car?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I'm having trouble posting pictures.  I'll have to look at the tutorial and post pictures of the placement of the seal on the trunk lid.   Rich, I sent you an email. 
Terry

RICH MUISE

I have not recived an email nor a PM (richardmuise@yahoo.com)

lalessi1

Rich, I seem to remember sending you a pic of the installation instructions for the trunk seal. It was a while back. I may still have them... I'll try to remember to look.
Lynn

mustang6984

These are pics that came from Terry about his O/P question above. Anyone have help for him?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Marc

I came across this a while back, can't remember exactly where I found it but it's helpful.

trunk.png

lalessi1

That is the instruction sheet that came with the seal.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Never have seen the seal glued to the body. I think Terry had it correct. Terry, did you see the reply I made to your email to me?

terry_208

Rich, Yes I saw your email.  I realized from your email that I had it on correctly.  My trunk lid closes ok, just needs a little slam.

I noticed that the lid "hung" slightly just under the back window/light when opening.  When I adjusted it rearward, about 1/16 of an inch, I could no longer open the trunk.  The rivet on the latch was catching on the striker plate. 

The weather is on the cool side.  Morning temps have been in the single digits to mid teens.  Perhaps when the weather warms a little bit the seal will relax somewhat.  When the striker plate is adjusted to align the lid with the quarters, it is hard to release the latch.   

Terry

gasman826

Apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the seal/body contact area.  Petroleum jelly helps keep the seal soft and slide into the correct position.