News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mounting plate for radiator core support

Started by terry_208, 2024-06-22 23:43

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

At some time in my car's past life, it was hit extremely hard in the front.  This broke the plate, where the core support bolts, from the frame.  The forward protrusion was badly mangled and straightened.  I welded the plate back on...obviously wrong, see the pictures.

My question, where (how far forward) should I have welded the plate? I believe it should be about 3/4" to 1" further forward.  Opinions?

Terry

mustang6984

I'll take a pic and measure. Both of my Couriers still have them in place from factory weld-in.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Technically being where it is supposted to be is secondary to where it needs to be.  Since the frame was hit hard enough to break the core support mount, there may be other subtle tweaks in the frame.  I would confirm that the frame is correct.  If the body is on the frame, mockup the front sheet metal and core support to confirm all the front gap alignment.  If the gaps are correct, the core mount aligns to the frame in the needed location.