News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ranchero Gas tank

Started by kens65fb, 2009-02-18 16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

My gas tank has a leak, and looks as if it was previously repaired in another spot as well, so I'm thinking that its shot.   WOW are new tanks for Ranchero's expensive, $400 + shipping.
I've seen  tanks for other models of 57 ford tanks on E**Y sell for well under $200
Has anyone been able to make  any other tank work??  Would a tank from a Custom work if you able to get the filler neck through the rear valance somehow?
Any ideas ?
Thanks

KidKourier

Yeah, took a repro '66 Mustang gas tank (20 gal.) turned it sideways and hooked it up to stock location filler spout + some heavy duty rubber hose,plus the electrical hookup for sending unit is on top of tank. KID

KidKourier

P.S. It's in my Courier Sorry about that! KID

57AGIN

Kens65fb:

I don't know if this would fix a leaking gas tank, but you could check it out with the radiator shop doing the work.  Have the the gas tank go through Gas Tank Renu process.  I had this done to my 57's tank during its rehabilitation process, it cost me $152.  The following is a description of the process:

HOME RENU SERVICES CONTACT RENU - How it worksOur unique, chemical bonding repair process gives your fuel tank a tough, "double layer" of protection.

Gas Tank Renu coats most tanks on both the inside and outside ? However, most motor cycles and tanks which are only rusted on the inside are coated INSIDE ONLY. -- Most Diesel tanks are coated on the OUTSIDE ONLY to keep costs down.

Car & Light Truck tanks which are coated inside and outside with our patented process have a limited lifetime warranty ? All other tanks are
1 - 2 year warranty.

The Gas Tank Renu repair process is completely compatible with gasoline, diesel, and water (non-drinking).1. Typical corrosion
2. Blasted
3. Interior coated with RENU PRODUCT
4. Exterior coated with RENU PRODUCT
5. Holes in tank, sealed with Renu Product and/or welding.
?2008 Erson, Inc.

It seems to me to be a process that results in a tank that may be as good as or better than new.  Just a thought and I'm not sure if there is an authorized dealer in your area.

Bob

shopratwoody

I had my tank done by a radiator also. That was before they made new ones. In my case I didn't have a
tank and had to buy a used one. By the time I bought one, and a sending unit and had the rad shop
do it and add a 3/8" pickup and new one would have been cheaper. I wish they had new ones at
that time.
Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

dgasman

Try Bob Drake (800 221-3673 ), I bought two tanks from him and paid around $280 a peice.
He had them on like a close out sale and was not going to repop any more .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Ford Blue blood

Look at the rear tank fron the F series pickups that have the dual tank set up.  The fill is on the correct side and it is a flat 17 gal tank.  You will have to modify the "spare tire" well to mount it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

a mid 80's ford truck rear tank or a ford van are about the same size and may fit

actualsize

My 57 Del Rio 2-door wagon's tank is shot. It leaks like a sieve.

After taking it out I found that it had been patched two or three times in the past. The latest leak is on top, in the slanting space between the spare tire well and the tank. Some former owner had plugged the central drain hole, which allowed water to sit on the top and corrode away. It's too far gone to patch again.

And, of course, the wagon needs the same pricey tank as the Ranchero and the retractable, Ford P/N B8A-9002-A.

The only two new tank sources were Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter. Carpernter was sold out, and told me to check back in 4 to 6 weeks. Drake was sold out too, but the salesman told me that a guy in Texas had bought all of them at once. Fordcraft is the outfit, and I was able to buy a Bob Drake tank from them. Got it in less than a week too, including truck shipping from Plano, Texas to California. Cal Don @ (972) 423-4636.

It came with a new drain plug, a new sending unit gasket and a new filler neck o-ring. The new tank differs from my original in a couple of ways; ways that would be better explained with a couple of photos. I can post them if anyone is intereted and if it hasn't been done before.

Dan

kens65fb

How much was the tank ??
Please post any pictures, I'd be interested in seeing them
Thanks

57chero

Saw an add in the latest hemmings for ranchero gas tanks didnt have the cost, the number was 1-800-901-8265