News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Merc 410 swap

Started by AntiBling, 2009-04-11 06:31

Previous topic - Next topic

AntiBling

Will a Mercury 410 (FE) bolt up to the ford-o-matic in my '57? 

I might consider swapping my y-block for this if I don't have to find another transmission and deal with new driveshaft, and tranny mount. 

wolfpupsdad

welli guess it all depends on the transmission behind your Y block now. if you have a ford-o-matic the answer is no, if you have a stick tranny , the answer is yes and no. you's still need to use a FE flywheel and bellhousing, starter, but the stick transmission would work, but will not take alot of abuise in stock form. if you have the ford-o-matic then you'll need a transmission from the FE family of motors.
  rule of thumb : all engines stay within thre families, Y blocks in Y blocks , FE in FE blocks. will it bolt in ??? yes depending on the transmission you may have to alter the cross member some.

shopratwoody

Years ago we put a 427 FE in my Ranchero (the first time) and used the Ford O Matic.
So it will work. If I remember right all that was needed was a F-1 converter. That Ford O lasted
for many years behind a 390 also.
Have Fun, Ron :001:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the bell housing bolt pattern to be the same between the FE and the Y-block?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

my 1966 hollander manual says the bell housing bolt pattern is different between y blocks and fe engines.some fordomatics came with a removable bellhousing.so maybe a bell housing-converter swap may work for you.hope this helps   

57custom

The bellhousing bolt pattern look similar but they are not.

wildhog

NO THE 410 WILL NOT MATE TO A Y-BLOCK BELLHOUSING, YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF GOING TO A C6 TRANS.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)