News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

creaking noises...stumped

Started by meteor, 2009-07-15 20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

I just put about 3500 miles on my ranchwagon in the last 12 days. We encountered everything from near impassable roads to heavy rains and crazy potholes. The steering and suspension was really put to the test.

I now have a loud creaking noise, especially noticeable when turning and rolling through parking lots and at low speeds. I've lubed all the bushings to no avail.

So far, the only thing I notice is that I lost a bolt on the lower shock mount on the pass. side front. However, the sound seems to be coming from the driver side.

Anyone experience this? could it be the steering box? my header is close to the steering box, could the heat have dried out the lube in the steering box?

thanks
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

Frankenstein57

Matt, I don't know if you are running a power steering setup, but you could have a low RPM howl or harmonics noise. Hey, how bout posting some pictures!   Mark

meteor

Mark, no power steering. The creaking sounds like an old door, the sound also varies over uneven areas like a parking lot and as i turn the the wheel.

Just posted some fresh pics in the members rides section!

custom300fe

Sounds like it may be a control arm bushing. Try giving them a shot or two of silicon spray.

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

JPotter57

Thats what I was thinking Gerry, especially if he used polyurethane bushings....They will drive you crazy with squeaking and creaking...A shot of WD should do the trick though...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

meteor

I tried WD40 on all the bushings while on my trip but I think it just evaporated, cause after a day the noises were back. I also tried some silicone spray, but haven't driven it much since so maybe it needs to get worked in a bit.

Not sure what kind of bushings I put in there...was a long time ago. thx

quad_quazy

I have a loud creaking noise as well that comes and goes.  One day when it was particularly bad I laid down and had my son bounce the car up and down.  found out it was my lower fwd A-arm bushing...probably shot.  I'll just live with it for now until I save up enough money to air bag and rack the front end, then while I'm at it I'll replace everything.

Jeff Norwell

Hi Matt
I don't know if you have your problem solved.. but instead of WD40,... I use Fluid Film......It will not evaporate and lubes very nicely.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com