News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Att'n John Feistritzer.....tire question

Started by JPotter57, 2009-07-16 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

John, I am about halfway done with my rear suspension on my '57, and was wondering what size tire that is on the back of your car.  Is it a 29  11 or 30 X 11 or 12?  I cant remember what you told me it was a while back, and am getting ready to fit up tires and wheels to have the rear housing cut.  Also, what size wheel are you running, 8, 9 or 10?  Thanks in advance..... :hurricane:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

James:

I run 10.5 x 29.5 x 15 Phoenix (formerly Firestone).  They are on 10 inch wheels.  Don't remember the backspace, but I think it is around 5 1/2 or 6.  My housing isn't narrowed, that's why the deep backspace.  I remember showing you my "invisible" modifications to the body from my old IHRA stocker days, but you may not remember the details.  Did you take pictures of it?  If you narrow the housing and tub it, the "invisible" mods become a moot point.

John

JPotter57

Yeah, I have pictures.  I will be doing the same thing except for spreading the quarter panels.  I am getting ready to stretch the tubs now.  If I narrow the housing at all, it will only be about 1 inch on each side, maybe 3/4 per side.  When I get the tires I can mount to my wheels and will be able to see how much I need.  I thought your wheels were 10s, but couldn't remember.  My car will be bracket raced with a Cleveland and 4 speed, and I just didnt think the 28 X 9 slicks would cut it.  I will get some pics posted when I get it all back together.
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

James,
FWIW Calverts S/S 68 Mustang runs 9:70's on 9X30"s cause he won't cut the car :unitedstates:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

Yeah, I know, I just really like the way Johns car looks with the big tires on it.  You know the work involved in putting a fatter tire in one, both of us have done it.   I dont want to tub it per se, but I do want a bigger tire on it.  I will be running a Cleveland and Liberty 4 speed for a while, so I will want a bit more tire to ehlp with hook.  Plus, the 10.5s on the Hurricane look pretty cool, huh?
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

James:

If you are going to run 10.5 slicks, you won't get them inside the fenders without tweaking the 1/4 panels.  Mine run so close that occasionally the bulged sidewall of the slick touches, you can see the marks on both the inside and outside of the tire.  My spring pads are moved inboard slightly also.  A street tire has a straighter sidewall, may provide more clearance.  Goodyear slicks have more bulge than Phoenix.  I once tried some 9" Hoosiers, they wouldn't hold the power I have.  Didn't spin, but slipped enought to affect the 60' and ET.  Have not tried 10.5 Hoosiers.  Isn't it ironic that Hoosier Hurricane doesn't use Hoosier tires?

John

JPotter57

I just bought a rear housing narrowing jig, so I plan to cut a truck type housing down to about 49 or 50 inches.  My last 57 had 15 X 10 M/T ET Drags on it, and had enough room, but I had modified the back half of the frame with 2X4 rectangular tubing, ran straight back instead of flared to the outside of the car.  There was enough room for about a 13 inch tire, but I ran the 15 X 8  Weld Pro Star, so I couldnt use any bigger than 28X10X15 M/Ts.  This time around, I may use a 15 X 10 Weld Rodlite, so I can use the 29 X 10.5 tires.  Also will have to modify the inner fender like last time, but I have the time and materials, so I may do it this month. 

I may have to go ahead and get the wheels/tires so I can size everything up before I start cutting.  I am pretty sure a 49 or 50 inch housing will work.  I think my last 57s housing was 50 inches.  I'll post more when I see what I have... 
Old, loud, and fast.

F570RD

Hey John,Is there a difference in the 500 and 300 models when it comes to rear wheel wells?I never did get a peek at the under side of your car in Columbus.I'm a :dumbass: :burnout:

Hoosier Hurricane

I don't know for sure, but I would assume they are the same.  The extra length of the 500 is in the panel between the door and wheel opening.

John

57AGIN

John & James:

I just got back from vacation and this discussion of tire clearance between our two racing gurus is facinating.  James, when you get your tire clearance issues resolved, please do a photo article on the how to's.  The "tweaking" of the quarter panels, moving spring pads inward, etc. are probably things that a number of us less venturesome 57 owners could benefit from.  I'm not sure if it would improve my ability to get my tires out from under the fender and clear the rear brake drum.  But, if it is relatively easy for an all thumbs sidewalk mechanic to accomplish I'm all for it.  Currently, I have to jack the car up by the frame, drop the rear shackles & undo the shocks in order to remove my rear tires to put my slicks on.  Needless to say I don't do it very often.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

Bob,
That's why I'm doing the rear mods.  Last time, before I cut the car,  I had to put the slicks on uninflated and air them afterward on jackstands...Took forever.  After I did the mods, I could jack the car, and get 28 X 10.5 in and out of the car with no problem.   I am taking many pictures so I can do just that, document it for my speedmaven site and hopefully get another issue of a newsletter out eventually.  This time of year is pretty hectic at work as we have a lot of ocean based tower maintenance to do, and it depends on sea states, so if its nice out, we go out into the gulf to do corrosion control...not fun.  Hopefully, one day I can get back to working on the car and the newsletter, maybe this fall I can get things under control...maybe. 
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Sounds like interesting work.  Just stay away from those hurricanes you guys are so famous for.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

Fellows,  I went ahead and bought a pair of 15X10 Pro Stars and a pair of 28X10.5X15W M/T ET Drags....After getting the tires on the rims, I sorta wish I had went with the 29X11.  Trouble is, I would have had to bought more gear, as the biggest I have right now is 4.56, so in a cost cutting measure, I went with the shorter tire.  I guess, if it doesnt work out, I can go to a taller tire and a 4.86 later if I need to.  Also, the 10.5W tire is sort of a cheater tire, and is almost 11 inchesw of tread width, something like 10.9 or so.  It's pretty big, but my car will swallow it up pretty easily now.  I will get some pics this weekend when it is all back together.  I am getting ready to cut the truck housing I just bought, in prep for the Strange 35 spline axles I also just bought....Gawd, its fun.   4.56gears, full spool, big slicks, solid roller cammed and 12.6:1 351C 4 speed, Vertigate shifter, 6000 rpm launches, 7000 rpm powershifts....Can you hear high 10s calling...
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

James, could you give us a bit of information on the housing cutting jig you purchased?
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72