390 4 speed toploader in a 57 with bench seats... which Transmission?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2009-09-07 08:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I still have my T-85, but am considering going with a toploader 4 speed behind the 390 in my 70A. I know there are different tail housing lengths.  Which toploader do I need to clear the bench seats?  Thanks!  :burnout:

JPotter57

Use the short tailshaft with Fairlane tailhousing to clear the bench.  Or if you can find a long shaft Galaxie trans, it is a bolt in swap, just have to find a weird length driveshaft.  The Mustang tailhousing will put the shifter into the seat.  Good luck...by the way, you can use the Mustang trans and tailhousing if you use a specific handle on the shifter...I used a chrome Hurst handle, made for a <gasp> 1961 Impala SS....nobody knew though.  To be honest though, the Fairlane or Galaxie deal is easier and neater.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

progoat

Seen this post and was wondering what did you do as far as trans. and the z bar. I have a 390 in my 57 with a super t 10 but i had a manifold that cracked and had to put headers on it. Now the z bar doesn't work and went to a cable set up. The problem is when you get on it pretty hard and the motor torques it disengages the clutch. Thanks, Bo
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
1956 Ford F100