News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

efi swap update pics

Started by Amblewagon, 2009-09-30 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Rich not sure when the switch over happened.  My 93 F150 had the ADO.  Google "Ford AOD" and you will find more info then you can digest in one sitting.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-08-31 06:20
Thanks for the info Gary and Bill. Did the vehicles mentiond above come with an AOD, or AODE? It is my understanding that the 4r70w was a lincoln 4.6 tranny only at this timeframe (pre96)
I think I need to start a new post comparing this and the 4.6 posts   Rich
the crown vic only had a AOD,mustang started to use the AODE in 94.the t-bird AOD only.lincoln AOD only.trucks started using the 4R70W in 94.[note this list is 5L only]

iamflashman

What motor mounts did you use?
What type of fuel pedal did you use?
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

wighty

These days I am asking everyone what radiator they are using.  Yours looks like it might be a Griffin.  Can you tell me what it is and if it is a bolt in using the 57 mounting holes.
Dennis

redshoes57

The explorers had 302ho with GT 40 heads until 2001.

Amblewagon

Quote from: wighty on 2010-12-16 23:14
These days I am asking everyone what radiator they are using.  Yours looks like it might be a Griffin.  Can you tell me what it is and if it is a bolt in using the 57 mounting holes.
Dennis
Yes it is a griffin and yes it is 100% bolt in factory holes.
Joe

wighty

Thanks Joe.
I had prety much decided on a Griffin and then when I saw your installation, I was convinced that this would be the best fit.  I ordered one for my Custom 300 that I am installing a modified 351 Cleveland into. 
Wighty

Roothawg

So just a rough estimate on the time invested in the swap?
I have done many 35-40 Fords etc so I am familiar with the pitfalls on those particular years but I am a 1957 Ford virgin.

Amblewagon

I didn't keep track of time,I worked on it at work when I had spare time.I also have a lift which was a huge help.It was time consuming but doing anything correctly usally is.Thats funny you mentioned 35-40 fords I just picked up a 36 3 window Ford coupe that I'm going to do.I may end up running the Yblock out of my 57 wagon in it.
Joe

Amblewagon

I should mention if your set on keeping your factory steering box you will run into trouble with the exhuast headers I ran.I'm running the shorty BBK off a mustang.I'm unsure if the factory headers from a mustang or Lincoln will clear or if you would have to find some older cast iron units,but theres no way mine would come close to fitting.I installed a rack and pinion setup so theres no issues with that.The passenger side upper control arm needed minor trimming or grinding so there was no contact.Overall it''s not a hard swap but it takes time fabbing stuff up from scratch.
Joe

Amblewagon

This is a old topic but just wanted to let everyone know how the wagon turned out.The thing is a blast and joy to drive,it doesen't have any of the old car quirks or tricks to drive it.Get in hit the key with no worries and good milage to boot.I have a little over 5000 miles on it the first year without any issues.I do have to charge the air and figure out what to do for ac vents but it's pretty much done,the hard part is keeping my wife from driving it.Of course if I was doing it today without a budget I would be running the new 5.0 from Ford,now thats a Awesome engine and they sell it with a aftermarket control wiring harness,oh well next time.LOL
Joe

Frankenstein57

Joe, glad to hear you have been able to enjoy all of your hard work.I have the 58 on the road, returned it to the shop to fine tune it, install the ac and finish the interior. Do you still have the car at the shop? or somewhere else. I'd like to drive over and check it out. Finally warming up around here.  Mark

Amblewagon

It's at my buddys pole barn for winter storage but I would like to get it this week if it would stop raing for a few minutes!!LOL It will be at my house or work depending on when you want to stop by,just call my cell,I don't check this site very often.
Joe