News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rubber floor mats or carpeting ??

Started by Amblewagon, 2009-10-01 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Amblewagon

I would like to buy a complete rubber floor set for my country sedan.Dennis carpenter only offers the front section.The factory style is three piece,does anyone make what I'm looking for??If not has anyone had good luck with a carpet set from a supplier?? If so who makes or sells it.I tried barron labonney no luck there either.Thanks Joe

JimNolan

Joe,
   I used Auto Custom Carpets. They are more expensive ( @ $300.00 ) but I believe you get what you pay for. I had the original cut and sewn carpets the first time I restored my car and didn't like them ( they didn't fit well ). The last time I had my car restored I used molded carpeting. They're great and they actually fit the car. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Amblewagon

Thanks Jim thats the input I'm looking for,I don't mind the cost as long as they fit good.I can't beleive no one offers the factory style rubber floors,that bums me out.
Joe

Amblewagon

Nobody else has had to replace carpet or rubber mats?? I just want a few opinons before I buy. Good or bad experiences with different vendors?

Thanks again
Joe

Amblewagon

So much for getting what you pay for.I ordered ACC and it's says it's molded but comes rolled up tighter than a cuban cigar,it kinda fits and is super thin,I'm going to have to really glue it down in certain areas.OH well, I would not recomend them.It seems like any thing aftermarket is just so so at best,I realize that is sometimes the only way we can put these cars together now days,but it just gets me mad when the advertize how great there product is and they fall quite short of quality.I don't know if theres something better out there just giving a heads up on what I found.Joe

JimNolan

Joe,
   Did you get the rubber mats or the carpet. I actually liked my carpets. The only fault I found with mine is that the carpet was so stiff and heavy there wasn't any adjustment you could make to them. I was going to put insulation down before I got the carpets and after I got them I figured I'd never get the scuff plates to  fit without having the door slam into them if I used insulation also. As it was, I still had the door hit it a little bit. Jim

rmk57

I replaced my rubber mat in my 1958 Villager wagon with molded carpet,which should be the same as your country sedan. It was ACC and   the fit was really nice. I had a bad experience
with a place in Oregon, I can't remember the name but they were hand sewn and fit was terrible.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

RMK57,
   That place in Oregon was called SMS probably. They did my door panels. The panels were nice but like you I got those hand sewn carpets that looked like throw rungs. I later got molded from ACC and I've like those. Jim

Lou

Who is the "AAC" you are referring to?

JimNolan

Amblewagon

I ended up ordering a carpet set,they didn't list rubber for my wagon.Carpenters only carries the front section of the rubber floor but I wanted the rear section too so I ordered the carpet from ACC. There seems to be alot of extra carpet over the trans tunnel and it fits really poorly where the tranny tunnel and floor come together by the gas petal.I already trashed the box and really don't want to deal with sending it back.Like I said I'll have to use 3m spray adhesive and really stick it down.My set is not really thick like what you mentioned Jim in fact there kinda wimpy.Maybe the cheapened the family recipe.LOL I really wanted a complete rubber floor I checked around and couldn't find that unless I over looked someone?
Thanks Joe

JimNolan

Joe,
   I've never even seen a rubber set for a 57 and I've been looking for 57 stuff for six years now. You've got a good idea about sticking them down with 3m or something like that. I did do something different on my gas pedal though. With new floor pans just installed I decided not to use the original type gas pedal. I adapted a later model gas pedal that uses a spring to hold it in position and it never touches the floor. I believe it was a 66 Mustang gas pedal. It looks good and I didn't have to tug on the carpet to make it fit good. I do remember saying to myself I needed someone else to hold the carpet in place while I positioned the holes for the gas pedal. That is one of the reasons I used the 66 mustang pedal. It really looks good though and you'd never know the carpet wasn't hugging the floor like it was meant too. As far as the wimpy is concerned, I kid you not, that carpet was thick and tough. Jim

rmk57

It was Fryers upholstery in Vancouver, Washington I had a problem with. The carpet in rear that goes under
the seat was too short, it barely covered the rear foot well. The ACC carpet fits pretty good plus the give you
lots of extra material to work with.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

I have used ACC over the years and find them to be of very good quality.  They do require several days to "relax" after un-boxing.  The set I got for my 66 Ranchero I ordered from Auto Krafters and it was an ACC set dropped shipped. 

There are two levels of quality from them, I have always opted for the better of the two and can only address those sets.  After a week of "relaxing" they litterally fell into place.  They had the jute backing in the correct places and the molded portion fit aas it should.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

My nephew used the cheaper type carpet in his car, and he used a heat gun and rubber mallet to "form" the carpet into the various nooks and crannies.  Made it fit a lot better than it did out of the box.

John