News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake booster fit

Started by 57ragtop, 2009-10-14 17:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Yes, the valve covers had the letters and numbers stamped in them.  The covers on my engine were never off and their condition indicated they were original (grease, dirt, rust and lack of primer of any kind) so I feel fairly confident in saying they came that way.  The wire looms are bigger then any I have seen on other Ford covers.  The factory wires had an about 4" long extra layer sheath on them where they were placed in the loom on the cover.  Not sure about any of this (wouldn't bet my life on it) but given the quality issues Edsels had.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2022-03-19 08:24

Yes, the valve covers had the letters and numbers stamped in them.  The covers on my engine were never off and their condition indicated they were original (grease, dirt, rust and lack of primer of any kind) so I feel fairly confident in saying they came that way.

So they were stamped (raised characters) and then stenciled. Answers that. Appreciated.

QuoteThe wire looms are bigger then any I have seen on other Ford covers.  The factory wires had an about 4" long extra layer sheath on them where they were placed in the loom on the cover.  Not sure about any of this (wouldn't bet my life on it) but given the quality issues Edsels had.....

The first GEN FE had a different style IGN wire hold-down at the rocker cover. The early style metal 'comb' is actually spot welded to the cover and used individual grommets to separate and protect the wires from abrasion. FORD went to the welded flange and plastic comb (B8Q 12297-A) design on the later 1958 FE as is seen on most installs.

Below are photo(s) of an E-400 that has the early type metal comb separator. The owner used a B6A 12297-A separator @ the metal comb to somewhat control abrasion in lieu (Fr.) of the individual separators.

You can also notice the 'metal' comb position was relocated on the later 1958 FE.

The 361 was introduced first and the 332-352 was introduced a little later in the 1958 production run. The early 1958 332-352 had a solid valve-train design.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KULTULZ

Below is a photo of a 58 FORD with an early 332 FE w BALDY ROCKER COVERS. It has the early style metal combs with the individual grommets -
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2022-03-13 07:48The pedal linkage is completely different between the Ford and Edsel.  Could not find a "bolt in" kit for Edsel with power brakes.  Might be swapping in a 57 - 58 Ford manual brake pedal might be the way to go.  The kits for the 57 - 58s and others move the booster and master up away from the engine with plenty of room.

Here is an update on the DIAPH VACUUM BOOSTER changeover on a TREADLE-VAC equipped car -

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1954-lincoln-brake-swap-question.1271208/
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960