News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351w temp gauge

Started by alstoy, 2010-01-14 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

alstoy

Hi Guys, can anyone offer an opinion on what type/rating of temp sensor for a 351w to use with the standard teperature gauge on a '57.

Cheers

JimNolan

Alstoy,
    You need to measure the resistance of a 57 temperature sender and measure the resistance of the temp sender you're going to use (at same ambient temp). Normally the resistance of a 57 is higher than the newer senders ( at least mine was ). You then add the difference to your circuit. I had to add 10 ohms resistance in series with the temperature wire going back to the guage. I have my guage reading 180 degrees in the middle of the indicator. The bottom of the black section on the gauge is 140 degrees, 1/4 of the black section is 160 degrees, 1/2 is 180, 3/4 is 200 and the end of the black section is 220. When it goes to H it's hot. You'll find the indication on the 57 gauge is linear. I varified this by having a Stewart Warner gauge hooked up at the same time. Also the use of a 160 degree thermostat and a 180 degree thermostat proved it out. Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

canadian_ranchero

did you check if the stock 57 sender will fit the 351?the v8 one has a 1/4 pipe thread and the 6 is 3/8 pipe thread.hope this helps

alstoy

Thanks guys, we are still working on it but your input is valuable.

Cheers

57chero

Im running a 351W with the stock gauges , So I installed a brass bushing in the intake and used the stock 57 sending unit.