News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE-C6-Gear-vendor OD in Sunliner

Started by maddog350gt, 2010-05-10 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog350gt

Hi all;

I am thinking about putting the FE-C6-Gear-vendor overdrive that's currently in my 57 500 HT into my 57 Sunliner; does any one have experience with this? Will it fit with the X brace? Will I need to modify the brace? I know I will need new exhaust, but I am prepared for that.

Thanks,
Bob M.

Ford Blue blood

Might be easier to put an AOD in.  The AOD is only a little longer (3/4") then the C-4 and will fit in a 68 Mustang trans tunnel without modifications to the tunnel.  Light trucks up through 93 are the best source with large cars the second best.  Google it and you will find several features about it and there is an adapter to fit it to the FE series.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

maddog350gt

Ford Blue Blood;

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure an AOD would handle the HP on the 427 FE, but I'll keep it as an alternative if I can't get the GV to fit.

Bob M.             

Ford Blue blood

The 4R70W designation for the late AOD breaks down as 4 forward speeds with OD as the 4th, forget the "R", the 70 is an indicator of the max torque it will handle, in this case the 70 X 10 indicates it will handle 700lbft of torque.  The "W" means a wide ratio with first gear, in th 2.85 range.  OD is .76 I think, don't remember for sure on that.  Good stout transmission based on the FMX.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

the R in 4r70w means rear wheel drive transmission.the OD ratio is .70 to 1.get a 98 or newer,better trans inside.now the problem is that a 4r70w is computer controled.will need a stand alone computer to make it work or you can swap the wide ratio guts into a AOD case, that is not computer controled 

hogwagon

I am new to this site and see that this post is over 120 days according to the warning so this may be too late. I put a Gear Vender's in a non Ford a few years ago. Car was a big block Dodge with 4:10 rear end gears. Did have to change exhaust and modify the rear crossmember. Was a bit of work but not out of most guys ability's. Loved the final results. Car was a blast all around and did a Hot Rod Power Tour with it for about 2500 miles. Agree with most on here that there is a couple of OD transmissions that are up to the task but if you have a C6 that you like and want to try a GV O.D. I think it will be great.