News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear leaf springs

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-06-08 09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I saw a listing on ebay for new 6 leaf springs for wagons and retractables for 187. They list the dim's as 55", 25 1/8 x 29 7/8, 2" width. Are these the same dim's used on custom models? Can I use these and remove the extra leaves as my custom only has 4 leaves. The company is, if I remember correctly McVeigh Truck springs out of Mio, Mi., dba springking0001. The 187. price is about 1/2 of what I've found so far. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Custom and Fairlane springs are the same.  I used Fairlane springs on my last Custom.  Now, retractable and convertible springs will have extra leaves, lots more weight to carry around.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Bubba

Bros:
Grocery Getters [Station Wagons] are different as well.
They have 6 leaves as opposed to the 4, but I am told are the same width as the sedan springs.
I got my new rear leaves from posies, after checking with all the local shops the price was about the same. FYI Totally Stainless has the Ubolts etc, they're a higher grade of stainless that's designed to handle the stress.
BuBBa

ranchero57

I bought a set of the springs you are talking about,high quality and fit right .I put them on my ranchero.  Campy

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the input guys. I'm adding them to my shopping list..just don't know what priority they'll have.   Rich

RICH MUISE

Quote from: ranchero57 on 2010-06-10 19:58
I bought a set of the springs you are talking about,high quality and fit right .I put them on my ranchero.  Campy
Campy I was going thru this old thread rereading, and I realized after reading this a second time I don't know who's post you were refering to..my original about McVeighs or Bubba's posie's ??

ranchero57

Rich,
I got mine from mcveigh.fit properly,with the correct arch.I am going to use lowering blocks to get the ride height down ,after I get all the heavy things bolted on.Lately I have been building my brake system.I am putting wilwood dynalite 4 piston calipers on all 4 wheels with 11 inch rotors.I am done up front,I am using stock spindles and stock  hubs with drums removed.I am just getting a good start on the rears.I have wilwood pedals mounted to my dash with dual master cylinders for brakes and hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch.Have to make it all,nobody else does.Later  Campy

RICH MUISE

WILDWOODS...AWESOME. Sounds like it's coming along great. Thanks for the confirmation on which springs you were using...I was happy to hear it was the McVeigh springs you were happy with...as I said in the other post running next to this one, It was hard for me to justify rear springs at 3x the cost of these. Thanks again   Rich