News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

For That Sound of The 50's and 60's

Started by Bubba, 2010-06-26 10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bros:
Just thought I would run a quick poll of the 57 Ford Faithful to see what mufflers in your opinion give the best sound of the 57 to sixties era.
BuBBa

JPotter57

I want a set of those old Thrush round steelpacks bad...Have you seen what they're going for on epay?  You can almost buy Borlas for what they cost now.  I remember buying a pair at K-Mart for $18 a pair back in `84 or `85.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

whatever it is they're putting on the newer Mustang gt's and such...those to me are the best sounding cars on the road.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

I'm running flow masters and 2 1/4 inch exhaust out of stock 63 FE manifolds. The sound when idling is throatie ( sounds awesome ) and the sound going down the road at 70 mph is silent ( to me that's great ). The sound when you back off the trottle and let it coast down in gears is something else though. It sounds like a circle track car with open exhaust ( a popping sound like there's no backpressure ). I'm pleased overall though. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hivolt5.0

I have 12" glasspacks and 2" pipe on my Ranchero.  It's running a balanced 312 and I love the sound.  Look on youtube for "David's Ranchero" for a sound clip.  (ignore the squealing belt at the beginning.  :002:  )

Lou

JPotter57

no, this is the ones I had and want again...The blue and white ones with the bird...
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

I ran those Trush mufflers in the late 60s, seems they were the choice as could be bought on sale for 6-8 bucks. Loud enough to get attention but quiet enough to not get pulled over.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

I loved those things.  My first car was a `66 Mustang with 302 and 4 speed.  It had a set when I got it, and I loved them.  My next two cars after those had them, then it seems like they quit making them in about `85 or so.  The last ones I saw on epay were over 100 for a pair, NOS in the box.
Old, loud, and fast.

smurfee

NEVER LOOK BACK

Zapato

You might also checkout Porter mufflers,  :unitedstates: :us-washington:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Jeff Norwell

I am with Zapato........ PORTERS...All the way!!!!!!!!!!
The sound is incredible.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57AGIN

I'll go with the FlowMasters for my 57.  When I had Doug's do my exhaust system; headers, mufflers & pipes, he only used FlowMasters.

My 08 Shelby GT has the Shelby factory installed Borla's.  I believe all the mod motors (4.6 & 5.4's) have a throaty mellow sound with whatever mufflers are used as long as they are duals.

johnksr

Well back in the 60's we ran cherry bombs on all our cars. Thrush were a little raspy and the Cherry Bombs were mellower. 
Now I run straight thru 18" glass packs from JC Whitney for that old time mellow sound. They even look like short Cherry Bombs.
To get the original 57 OEM sound I found that Walker Dynomax mufflers work great, not to quiet but not to noisy, just right.
Now that Walker and Dynomax split and became two separate companies I don't know which muffler would be comparable.

57tudor

I'm a Flowmaster kinda guy, love the sound.
Rick
57 Tudor