News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Early HEMI in 57 Ranchero ???

Started by kens65fb, 2010-08-10 13:36

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

I just picked up an early HEMI in great condition !!

Since I don't have a motor for my 57 Ranchero restomod,  I am toying with the idea creating a  "57 Hemichero"

From the beginning I have had plans for a restomod, I have already purchased  a Power Disc brake kit, and Wildhogs Rack & pinion steering.
Has anyone attempted to swap a early Hemi (291) into a 57 Ford.
Any suggestions or replies will be appreciated.

Ken

wildhog

KEN, I AM NOT SURE IT WOULD BE WORTH THE HEAD ACHE. THE EARLY HEMI DOESN'T BUILD ANY MORE H.P. THAN A GOOD Y-BLOCK. THAT SAID I HAD A 57 RANCHWAGON WITH A 392 HEMI DUAL QUAD TORQUE FLIGHT PUSH BUTTON TRANS.. ALOT OF WORK TO MAKE IT FIT. CONSIDER A 390 OR 351W, IT WILL BE A LOT EASIER. BUT AS I SAY THIS I HAVE A 57 LINCOLN Y-BLOCK 368 AT THE MACHINE SHOP BEING BUILT TO DROP IN A 57 RANCHERO, SO JUST MAYBE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

canadian_ranchero

the 392 weight is about 770 lbs,312 about 650lbs,and a 5L about 500 lbs.something to think about

KidKourier

Ken, Try finding the Sept.2008 issue of Street Rodder Magazine--Page 172,it has a 3 piece spread on Jim Bernhardt's '57 Del Rio 2 dr wagon(all black--um-um -um) that he installed a Chrysler 392" Hemi/Turbo 400 in. States that the stock '57 frame was to narrow so they grafted on a '76 Torino clip to get it to fit,he lived in Orange,Calif. Mag also has a 10 pg. article on the Ford Y-Block for interesting reading! I've seen Jims Del Rio up close at Goodguys Del Mar show a couple of times and it's awesome (not my engine choice,but to each his own). Perhaps a long distance phone call for questions? Hope this will help in your decission! KID :006: