News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom Aluminum Radiator Installed

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-08-27 17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I finally have my custom aluminum radiator mounted the way I want it. I mounted the radiator in the 6 cylinder position and now have plenty of room for the clutch fan and a shroud.  This is a major modification and not for someone who wants to keep his car bone stock.  I'm very happy with the results and the total cost was less than $200, not counting labor of course.  What the hey, I work for .10 an hour anyway...  Take a look at

http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/57ford/aluminum_radiator.html

tarheel57

Turned out nice,what brand,and size radiator did you end up using? and do you have a part number to order one by? thanks,Tarheel57 :burnout:

Ford_Crazy

When you cut the radiator support as I did you have a lot of options. I used Summit's SUM-380425 which is 25 1/4 " long and 19" high. This fills the hole I cut in the support and leaves about 1" on both sides.  You need to get the radiator low enough to clear the hood and fit the lower radiator hose. Another option looks to be their Hot Rod Radiator SUM-380501.  This radiator may fit the hole in the support without cutting.  It's smaller than the one I used. 

4banger

Sure hope the radiator fill neck and cap clears your hood. The more forward you go the closer the hood gets.

Ford_Crazy

I think it will be OK.  That's why I made the lower radiator mount adjustable.

JPotter57

It will be OK.  That's the way I did mine, couldn't see paying $600 for a radiator...  Looks good
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

Good news.  The custom radiator cleared the hood even with the billet cap.   :001:

glen b henderson

I love this car and have been following your build since you first started. Question, are you going to delete the rear seat and install the flat floor for a true business coupe look?
Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

That's what I'm doing to mine Glen.  I spoke with John Gambill a while back and his opinion on the rear shelf is that once it is constructed of good, marine grade plywood and covered with upholstery, trimmed out, you can't tell it from the original, installed anyway.  Well, that and the extra 1000-1200 in your wallet.
Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

If I ever get far enough along on mine to worry about it, I may do the same thing. I heard a few years back that someone had a copy of an orginal fab'ed up and it cost a small fortune.
Freedom is not Free

shopratwoody

And all the searching it took me to find a cherry core support :iamwithstupid:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I'm going to leave the back seat in my car so we can cruise with another couple if we want to.  I saw a real business coupe seat shelf when I was at Randy Conner's place a couple of years ago.  I would bet he sold it by now.  Very hard to find.

JPotter57

I was wanting to borrow one to pull a mold from and make a glass one, but no one will loan/rent/sell one.  So I figured I would make my own.  More to come when I get to that point.
Old, loud, and fast.