News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

seems really off the wall but...

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-09-20 07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I know all the traditional guys out there are going to cringe when you read this but I was wondering if any of you had any pics of '57 customs with a spoiler. A few years ago there was a '57 in one of the rod maggazines that had one but it was a high aircraft type that you'd see on an Indy car...not the look I was wanting at all. In my quest to build something different but tasteful, I was considering a low, thicker almost straightlined spoiler more typical of detroit in the '80's. I think the biggest problem will be the large radius on the trunk lid would put a normal horizontal mount too far forward and too high above the fins so I may end up having to build special brackets, and maybe the spoiler, to mount on the radiused area of the trunk lid...maybe moulded in.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

I've been having this conversation with Rich the last few days offsite. I'm sure someone has to have done it on something other than a Funny Car. Just never remember seeing such a thing personally. It would be a trick to pull off tastefully without destroying the classic lines and not be a visual attack. Surely someone has done it or attempted it before. I also would be curious to see the results good or bad. Any pictures out there?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

4banger

I think you have too much time to kill. Why take a classic and turn it into a " FREAK " I don't see no one taking a foreign car or muscle car and turning it into a 57. But this is America and you can do what you want.

JPotter57

The only spoiler I can think that would look halfway decent on one of these cars is something like what Norm Wizner had on the MegaFord car..  But still, on a street car, it would look like crap.  Main reason spoilers dont look good on `50's cars is that the cars are too bulbous, too rounded.  Spoilers look good on later, more boxy cars.. For good reason, later, boxy cars need all the help they can get to look good.  `50's rides look good as they are, without a lot of Pep Boys geegaws tacked all over them.  Just my .02....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Bubba

Rich:
There's a reason they call them spoilers!
With all the great and genuinely creative work you've already put in your ride, I think a spoiler might be just a bit too much and would SPOIL what you've already achieved.
Spoilers, and this is just my opinion [and apparently Potters :003:] just don't look right on fifties and early 60's rides.  A Crites ram air hood or 60's style SS hood scoop is about as radical as I plan on getting. IMHO the 57 Ford was one of the best looking automobiles ever, but then I also liked 53-54 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupes, and 61 Pontiac Ventura 2 door bubbletop hardtops, so there's no accounting for my taste.  I just can't visualize a 57 looking good with a spoiler, but go ahead and take the challenge and prove us nay sayers wrong  :003: :003:
BuBBA

JimNolan

Rich,
   Just when we were beginning to like you. Go ahead, tear out our souls. Putting a spoiler on a 57 Ford would be a sacrilege. LOL Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

lol... I told zap I shouldn't be gettin into this on the open....but I do like Bubba's challenge. About 90% of me is right along side you guys...it's the other 10% that makes me wonder if I can pull something off. James the Mega ford is awsome...I hadn't seen it before..but it's spoiler is not what I had in mind. My idea would be one that is very minimal blending into the body lines as much as posible, and wouldn't be seen from the view the Megaford was photographed at.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, still think you should try  building a mock-up spoiler out expandable foam or some other cheap material that would be easy to work. like we discussed over the weekend I don't think you'd want to mess with the car's profile. But then we're not talking about trying to change the smile on the Mona Lisa either. Do a search for a 59 Ford "kustom" called "My Blue Heaven", came out of my old neighborhood and was sectioned within days of being bought. Lots of people hated it then now its a kustom icon. You never know what you'll pull off.

Zap-
Zapato

shopratwoody

I'm just lost for words. WTF :003:
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

Rich,if you look at the trunk lid of a 78 LTD you will see ford built in a small spoiler to help the wind tunnel numbers

JPotter57

This reminds me of the dude on the HAMB, who wanted to narrow the car lengthwise, just because he could...Wish I had the time to spend on projects I'd end up wanting to do over...Like my frame on the rear of my `57..It is now stock again, no longer narrowed and mini-tubbed.....think it over before you end up looking for another deck lid, Rich..good ones are hard to find.  At least try it out on a rusty lid before you irreversibly alter a good one.
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Rich:

I'm really neutral on whether it would or wouldn't look good, correct, right, etc. on a 57.  However, I think Zapato & Canadian Ranchero may have something to think about.  A mock-up that some how could tie the deck lid into the two fins might work.  Nothing radical, like on Mega-Ford which extended the deck lid to achieve more down-force.  Maybe something like was done on the California Special Mustangs in the late 60's or, perish the thought, some of the 60's Z-28's could be moulded in a way to fit in with the look of the twin fins on the 57.

Hope I don't get stoned, too.  After all it is going to be a "CUSTOM" and it is yours.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

You are right Bob, it is his car, a custom (Kustom) to do with as he pleases.  We didn't crucify the guy with the chevy motor, or the one wanting to drop a Red Ram Chrysler in one.  I guess we all have our own idea of what the perfect `57 is.  Mine changes, it use to be what my old yellow car was, 4 wheel disks, drag racing wheels, lowered, sbf stroker, 5 speed...now I want 4 wheel drums, stock stance, y block and 4 speed with steel wheels and center caps... Different strokes, that is what makes the hobby so cool, there is no right or wrong way to do it, so long as the work is safe.  I enjoy all `57s, and even though I may not like the way something looks, I will respect the time and effort it took to make it the owner's ideal `57 Ford.
So Bob, thanks for inadverdantly making me remember that cars are not gods to be worshipped, but cars to be built, driven and enjoyed by the one who pays the bills!
Rich, keep the idea forge burning hot!
Old, loud, and fast.

canadian_ranchero

was looking at a early 80's mustang hatch back,has a small bolt on one on the back edge of the hatch back.maybe have a look at it

Zapato

Rich, now that you've been roasted am wondering if you're going to try some kind of mock-up or walk away from the idea. Was checking out my wife's 2008 Focus and it has a very low simple spoiler. Lots of different choices out there to stimulate your creative drive.

Zap-   bawl
Zapato