News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

replaceing bushings

Started by tarheel57, 2010-10-18 20:53

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel57

Has anyone had a problem on the lower control arm removing the old bushings so the lower arm will drop.The back ones with the pin that goes thru the round crossmember came out easy and will let the rear side of the control arm drop down.The front bushings dont want to come out.I have the body off the frame and have pryed to the point that the frame just about comes off the jack stands.I have all the front springs and upper control arms off.If any of you have had this problem replaceing the control arm bushings,or can tell me what Im doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Tarheel57 :burnout:

CDN.SD

I had the same problem on one of the ones I'm working on. IIRC I rotated the control arm until it was almost pointed toward the opposite side, and that gave enough clearance to remove them without removing the front pins.

If seized inner steel bushings is the problem,  try drilling out the rubbers in places, until they break free enough to rotate, and remove the arms, then deal with the inner bushings and pins later.

Just keep in mind that the replacement pins are on the pricey side, so don't be afraid to sacrifice the bushings to save the pins and control arms.

Good luck!
Necessity is the mother of butchery

RICH MUISE

Maybe I did it wrong since both of you have approached it in the same way. I knocked out both of the pins letting the control arm drop and removed the bushings after the arm was out of the car. By the way, to remove the bushings and reinstall the new ones, without a big setup on a press that can press them in and out with no stress on the control arm, I used 1/2 all thread and some sockets from a 3/4" socket set.To install...one socket bigger than the hole on the inside  and one on the bushing on the outside. Just be careful to get them started straight. If you decide to knock your pins out, screw a bolt back into the pin after you remove the washers, that way you'll be pounding on the bolt head and not the pin hopefully avoiding damaging the threaded hole. I was also replacing my pins so I wasn't worried about it. If you think pins are expensive..I also replaced top control arm shaft @140. each, not including bushings. (New forged shafts are available, they are manufactured by Rare Parts, and will have an RP in raised letters on them).   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CDN.SD

Sure, knocking out the four pins is the "right" way to do it, but 50+ years of corrosion has a way of making alternative measures necessary.
Necessity is the mother of butchery

RICH MUISE

lol...that's true...soaking in wd 40 a day or two before...and what size sledge hammer was it I used?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

Finally got them to come lose.Sprayed them real good and let them soak overnight,thanks,Tarheel.