News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New here first post. Rear brake question

Started by st.rod, 2010-10-20 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

st.rod

New here don't tear me up. FIRST POST
Got a 57 rear housing big bearing. Is there a disk rear that will bolt up? I have in the past put a 1/8 inch spacer behind the axle bearing then used later backing plates and drums. That gets the back space problem out of the way. It does pull the splines out of the spider gears by the 1/8 inch but has not been a problem. Does the Explorer disk rear work on this early rear?

Thanks Larry

Frankenstein57

Some posts were made awhile back about explorer stuff working, and they said it was lighter than the linclon Versalle stuff. I have a Versalle rear end in mine. If you go back a month or two and look at the brake posts, you should get the facts.  I'm sure you can get a bracket kit, or a complete setup. Kind of depends on your budget,    Mark

st.rod

So new here don't know how to go back or anywhere... I'll figure it out I'm sure. Have had Versaille rears and really don't care for them. But thanks for the reply.

Larry

Bubba

Tough call as we don't know if you want to add the discs with salvage yard stough or all new.
Try MasterPower brakes they make 9" Ford rear brake disc conversions for both small and large bearing
rears.  Here's the URL:
http://www.mpbrakes.com/

BuBBa

st.rod

Guess I should have clarified that. I definately want to use rebuildable parts from a salvage yard. I will measure up an explorer this weekend

Larry

Ford Blue blood

The 57 9" is 57.25" drum face to drum face, the 95 - 01 explorer is 59.5" face to face.  It is the best rear as it is 8.8, comes in three ratios, 3:55, 3:73 and 4:11.  Many have T-lock in them.  There is room for the extra inch & 1/8 on each side of the car.  It has the simplest e-brake set up, little drum inside the rotor hat and all the parts are available!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

st.rod

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I know the width of a 57- 59 rear I have had a few. There is an off set on that rear that is different of most other nine inch rears. Again sorry  Have heard that the explorer rear disk brake set up fits the large bearing nine inch but for the mid seventys. That is a different back space than the 57-59. I will hit the salvage yards around Denver tomorrow and do some measuring

Thanks Larry

Frankenstein57

I read where the offset of the pinion is so much that it interferes with the drive shaft tunnel, maybe someone has tried this.   Mark

JPotter57

If you narrow the long side of the Exploder rear end, and use two short side axles, it will center the pinion, and be either 1.5 or 2.5 inches narrower than stock.  I had planned on doing this to one for my car, but changed my mind and decided to build mine the old way.  It really is a good setup.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

st.rod

Hey guys, I'm asking if the "rear disk brake set up" from an Explorer will bolt up to a 57 to 59 Ford rear end. Not the the entire rear end from an explorer. Or how to narrow an Explorer rear end. Or the width of a 57 to 59 rear end.

Thanks Larry

JPotter57

I don't think the explorer brakes will, but I have a set from a Crown Vic that do.  Try `94-98 or so CV, they do bolt up, already had them on my housing once, didnt try the axles though, so as you say, there probably is some issue with offset.  I am pretty sure the bolt pattern on the Explorer caliper mounts is different.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

iamflashman

The explorer brakes are a direct bolt on to the 57 Ford.  I have them on both of my 57's.  They fit both the big and the small bearing rearends by redrilling the holes in the mounting plates.

They share the same flange bolt pattern as a torino style big bearing rearend which is only a little different than either 57 Ford housing end.  You have to enlarge/slot the holes on the backing plate to bolt directly to the 57 housing.

The emergency brakes also work with 57 ford cables and work way better then the lincoln style brakes.  They require no return spring or anything like that since they use the drum style emergency brakes.

The kit the master power sells and wilwood are both explorer brakes.
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

st.rod

:004:

WOW, Thanks Iamflashman, I guess patience is a virtue. My post was from October. Thanks alot!!!! Just what I needed. I have a 57 housing and axles and I know it has a weird offset that does not allow other easily accessible backing plates and drums to work.. GREAT GREAT

Larry

iamflashman

I will be doing a set tomorrow or Thursday.  I will be sure to take some pictures as I do it.

One trick is to use two passenger side hoses from the explorer.  This will make sense if you see the drivers side hose.  You use those two hoses and the existing y-fitting and original rear brake hose.

If you want, I actually have some pictures of the hoses from under my ragtop.  I just got under their and snapped a couple.
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___