News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My New Project.... 57 Ford 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2010-11-09 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Jeff the differences were brought about because of the retractable hardtop. Car had to be longer for that top to fit into. Which gave the world for the first time a big and small Ford. The Fairlanes in all their variants are large while the custom series are short wheelbase and o'all shorter.

Zap-
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

suede57ford

The Fairlane series has roof and windsheild is 1" shorter.   

The Custom series is considered the "short trunk" cars as they are shorter.  All the wagons and rancheros are the same length and proportions as the Customs.

The tail fins are much smaller on the Customs.

The Fairlanes have a huge back bumper, that can be exchanged for a smaller custom bumper

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Well...I made a deal on a running 62 Bird 390.. single 4 barrel engine.
I gotta go and pick her up tomorrow... as soon as I get time(gulp!)...I will clean her up and post some pics.
i have settled on induction too... gonna run a 3 deuce set up..... edelbrock intake and Rochesters..
A Larry Fulton product.......

Backed with a 5 speed....it should get the results I want.
The 390 is a runner..never been rebuilt and I will have plans for that.I will keep the bottom end stock , maybe a better cam (any suggestions) and do some head work.
i looked at the Edelbrock heads.... but i dunno...kinda pricey..we will see.

RICH MUISE

Jeff a few mundane things I was thinking about...I don't know how thorough you're planning for the body restoration but I wanted to give you a few things to keep in mind when you're looking for parts, as they were the problems I ran in to.
The body mount kits that all the suppliers sell is manufactured by dennis carpenter, so when they run out so does everyone else. I had to wait almost a year to get mine. I'd suggest latching on to a set as soon as posible.
The drivers door latch is not rebuildable, is almost always worn out, and is almost imposible to find n.o.s.... passenger side n.o.s. can be found. ( I have a source in Arlington Texas that has bunches of n.o.s. stuff, and used parts that had a half dozen of the passenger side latches n.o.s.). If in you're hunting you happen to see a drivers side latch n.o.s. I'd latch on to it (pardon the pun).
Also..I know you don't have the car yet, so you can't check but have a good look at the floor braces where they spot weld to the inner rockers. The design allowed mud, moisture, etc, to be trapped at the ends of the floor braces eventually rotting them and the inner rocker. new braces can be had and I also believe they make a repair kit where you would just replace the brace ends rather than the whole brace.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Fantastic Info Rich!!!
I am looking at a donor car from out west... problem is... it will cost more to bring the car home in transport than the car itself.
I will look into the Carpenter stuff asap.

Jeff Norwell

Rich .. will a 58 drivers side door latch work on a 57?

shopratwoody

Not Rich, but i"d bet money on it. I loose a lot of money :003:
I hate blocksanding!

suede57ford

The 58 latch is what you need.   A '59 is different.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Jeff...I don't have any way to check the numbers, but I'm with the other guys..I can't imagine a '58 latch not working...just make sure it's for a front door drivers side. Where they wear out is the hole in the star wheel gear cover that the gear shaft rotates in (the 'cover' that protrudes thru the door). I looked at a used set on ebay that claimed it to be "tight", but when you looked at the pic closely, you could see where they had used a center punch to "close up" the hole... not good..I did a post not too long ago about it, that had some photos comparing my old one with a N.O.S. latch I found (mercury...diferent but adaptable)

Jeff Norwell

On the 57-58 latches...did Henry use different ones for different models?... or do all fit. Nothing mundane at all Rich!.... I am a newb on this stuff and to me its concrete info..... I just want to learn about these cars....

RICH MUISE

As far as I know all the front door latches are the same, just left and right. Back door latches are different. Front latch P.N. is
B7A-7021813-A drivers side,... B7A-7021812-A passenger side. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on worn out door latches as I'm the only one that has brought the subject up in the last year, so maybe I'm more concerned than I need to be. A few months ago one of the members posted a query on what was causing his door to move up and down and I brought up the latch posibility. Gary (Canadian Ranchero) as usual suplied a whole bunch of useful and surprising (to me at least) info on the door latches,how they function and adjust.
(B7A  in the part number designates 57. Most of our part numbers will have the B7A prefix which tells you it is the correct year.)

CORRECTION:
Above listed part numbers have been corrected from originally posted.

Jeff Norwell

Fellas......Want to apologize for not being around here for a while... Crushing amount of work,Moderating the Hamb and re-occuring health issues have kept me away.
I apologize to Rich Muise as well... Rich,.You sent me a pm and I never got back to you...very sorry........

RICH MUISE

Good to see you back Jeff. No problem on the pm...to be honest I don't even remember what it was about. In rereading this thread today I realized I am not now positive about my statement about all '57 ford front latches being the same...in looking thru the trim and sealant manual looking for a part number for the key lock lever, I noticed different numbers on the station wagons than on passenger cars.I have no idea why. Rich

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Rich
I will be in Wellington Texas on March 28 until the 30. Staying with My pal Bob Owens for a few days before we head out to the Austin Lonestar round up.
I think Pat is gonna show up for Bob's Party and hotrod night on the 29th. Rich, if you could make it.it would be a pleasure to meet you.I know Bob is having a bit of a party(hotrod movie night) and I know you would be welcome. We could talk 57's all night! hahahah