News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

forgot

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2011-01-02 12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,  can anyone tell me the name of a co that sells body repairs thing,  of hand i can[t remember the name,   has all sorts of diff things,  they have all sorts of paints sanders body repair tools,  cna't rremember the name  got to be getting old,  thanks   jerry

CDN.SD

Necessity is the mother of butchery

geraldchainsaw

Hoosier Hurricane

Summit also sells tools like that.  If you are only going to use them once and throw them away, go to Harbor Freight, at least they're cheap there.

Zapato

I have to agree with the Hurricane don't want to badmouth Eastwood, however there are lots of places online and probably in your own neighborhood that are a bit more reasonably priced. I know that old line, you get what you pay for, however sometimes the same product or even better can be had elsewhere at a much more wallet friendly price.

My 2 cents...............

Zap- :fruit:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

What he said....my powder coat gun from Harbour Freight is the exact same one that Eastwood sells (sold 5 years ago) (different decal on the gun) and was $70 cheaper.  Did not includ the $20 worth powder that Eastwood sends along....but...you can buy and ship a butt load of powder from any of the manufacturers for that $50 difference!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

we've been here before...but well worth repeating. I agree with Bill and Zap. Very true,you get what you pay for, but the majority of us are just hobbiests trying to get our projects done and don't necessarily need tools that will last 10 years on a used-daily basis. quite frankly, I just couldn't afford to buy the top brand, or even good brand for that matter,for the multitude of stuff I've gotten at Harbor Freight.If I did I'd be spending the money for tools instead of car parts.I agree I think places like Eastwood sell much of exactly the same as Harbor Freight but at higher costs. And unfortunatly all too often even the good American brands are no longer made here anyways.
In the past 5 years, I've spent...just a guess...at least 5 grand at harbor freight, so I've got a lot of experience with them you might say. I'd rate the the stuff I've gotten there as follows:
60% of the items were what I was hoping they would be
20% of the items were better than I had hoped
20 % were poorer or just total trash
Overall I'm just estatic that I have a harbor freight in my town. All my life I've worked with hand tools and machinery...I know the value of quality equiptment. I know what I'm buying isn't top quality by any means..but in most cases they get the job done...and better than a use once and throw away basis.   just my 2 cents.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, going even a step further some of the big name outfits spend fortunes on advertising and everyone who buys anything from them pays for it by paying way too much for identical products found elsewhere. I never consider buying a tool that MAY NOT make it thru just one use. Have bought many just a step above that and have used them for years. I've also bought and used some high quality name brand tools that performed great but had other drawbacks and not just the wallet hit. When it comes to things such as drills and taps I never buy junk, but again not as good as the ones Boeing provided us for use at work. Can't justify the cost and I'll never use drills and taps anywhere as much or as hard at home. My personal tools that I made my living with could easily survive several generations of use and some of them already had by the time they were passed on to me.But then many of them bear the names of some of the best machine tool makers from throughout the world. And they would never be able to sacrifice quality for cost issues, as to a machinist a toolbox full of non accurate tools wont keep him employed for long.

I seldom seem to find much at garage sales but have over the years have added a few top grade tools from them. So they're worth checking out.

And there's also the economy factor that if you're not broke when everyone else is, you might score some fantastic deals. Watch your local trader papers and sites like craigslist for used stuff. And don't overlook Amazon.com I check them all before making any tool purchase. And if you have a Sears service center in your area they're often a good source not only for reconditioned,used or even new stuff they're either discontinuing or just happy to dump at often great prices.

And there's also the day that a co-worker retires and sells off his tools for pennies on the dollar, Or the guy that decides he's sick of his trade and needs money to go another direction. Most of my body tools I bought from a good friend that was getting rid of stuff during a nasty divorce, I actually gave him more than he wanted, didn't want to kick him too hard while he was down.

There are just too many ways to save money on tools rather than buying from the slick advertisers.

I've rambled on long enough time to pass the keys but remember once again its just my my 2 cents...............

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72