News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Blizzard Warning

Started by JimNolan, 2011-02-01 11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I've got my 6300 watt generator gased up with 10 gal extra gas. I have plenty of food and diet coke. I'm ready. Alot of people don't remember the Blizzard of 78. I do. Two feet of snow and the east-west roads had snow 10 ft deep in places. People died back then, froze to death. Here's hoping everyone hunkers down safely the next couple days. Jim PS  My son in Mississippi doesn't understand why I live in this cold climate. He thinks I should move to the South. I told him the first time I call him crying (literally crying) and he has to travel 1000 miles to bring me food, water,gas,money, generator etc. like I did for him during Katrina, I'll move.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim,
That sounds pretty serious. Sounds like you have that extra role
of T.P. in case you run out. I think I would have more gas for that
genny. Good Luck
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

like Jim,   being in Detroit will probly be the same as Ind,   i checked out my gen the other day also,  filled the gen tank,  got the 6 gal filled,  all the old cars and new ones,   so i have probly 80 gals of gas or so,  plus all the logs for the fireplace,  should be pretty well set,  but the way my luck goes,  that could all change,   jerry

shopratwoody

Looks like a nasty one. Good luck and hang in there.
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Jim you could move to central AL, very nice climate, hot and humid in the summer, cool and mild in the winter.  Then all you will have to worry about is the occasional tornado....as an old WI resident moved south I can tell you the tax base is very retiree friendly as well!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wildhog

GROUND HOG DAY, MY BIRTHDAY AND IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE SNOWED IN AND EATING A CUPCAKE ALL BY MY SELF!!
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

I could use a more friendly tax base.  I have concidered moving but just as soon as I think I know where I want to go something happens to change my mind. My kids had me talked into moving to Mississippi once. We spent a week looking around for land. While I was there I parked my 57 under one of my sons trees during our stay. A colony of black ants made their home inside my car. I had to fumigate the car when I got home. Also there were the beautiful bugs that flew around mating with one another. There were so many of the beautiful little creatures it almost stopped up my radiator. My son said it only lasted a month though. I had no idea a bug could hold that much inside of it's stomach. My son lives near a small park there in Columbia and we went into the park to see my grand-daughter ride her electric go cart. The first thing I did was step on a ant hill. My son yelled at me to get away from it, seems they have fire ants that will eat you alive if you bother them. The park was full of these ant hills. Also while taking a pickup load of supplies to my son during Katrina I had two cars try to box me in and stop me about 6 miles north of Columbia. I got around the lead car by jumping a divider that seperated traffic lanes and outran them to Columbia. I didn't do bad for driving with one hand and using the other to hold a 38 special. Here in Warsaw we have a crime rate comparable with the Mormon Tabernacle. I'll probably die in a snow storm here with my arm held high and my middle finger extended in protest. Jim

RICH MUISE

here in Texas it was a -23 wind chill factor this morning...I know not what you guys are dealing with up north but that's still cold for a southern state. Jim...Texas is a cheap place to live, no state income tax (for those who are still working)...real estate is reasonable,not too humid and the bugs are bearable. just a few things..we do have tornadoes, yes it actually does rain mud sometimes,-23 today and in 3 or 4 months it could be 110 or 115 (I've seen it as high as 118), the wind always blows, we do have rattlers, scorpions, tarantulas, and the worst....brown recluse spiders.My opinion...I was brought up in New England, moved to so. Cal for 16 years, then moved to Colorado for 23 years, finally Texas. Where do I prefer? hands down Colorado...I really miss it.The climate in Co. is much easier to deal with than Texas and there are practically no bugs! I doubt I was bit by mosquitos more than 5 or 6 times in 23 years there! 
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

glen courier

Ha Ha Jim you make me homesick for my own place here in Idaho. We went down south and the grass was so lusch my wife couldn't resist sitting on it. She got a case of chiggers that seemed to last for months. I had never heard of them before. I think it takes a hardy bud to survive the northern winters.

JimNolan

Rich,
  I gotta tell you this one about Texas. I stopped in Buger, Tx around the 1st of May and got gas at their airport, this was about 1998. The wind was absolutly pounding us to death. I pulled up at the pumps and there was a guy out in front of the FBO watering a little patch of grass about 3 ft. X 6 ft. I'd noticed when we came in there wasn't anything green within an hours flight of Buger. I asked the guy what the hell he was doing watering a little patch of grass like that. He said " we haven't had any measurable rainfall since last December. I want to keep something green to look at. You'll notice the resovior is almost empty now, don't know what the town's going to do when that's gone."
  I used to fly down to Alliance airport to see the Nascar races every year when my son lived in Ft. Worth. You have got to have the friendliest people on earth in Texas.

JimNolan

Glen,
  Don't kid yourself, we die young up here. Usually pneumonia.

Frankenstein57

We have the same blizzard beating on us, if its to snowy to drive to work tomorrow I'll have to jump on the snowmobile and have some fun. To bad for the wife, I pulled the engine apart in hers, needs a piston. Can't complain about our weather, I like the change in seasons. No wildfires, earthquakes,sunamis, mudslides, pretty much predictable. Lets be carefull out there, Jim you had me laughing like a madman with that snowbank comment.   Mark

RICH MUISE

Quote from: wildhog on 2011-02-01 15:37
GROUND HOG DAY, MY BIRTHDAY AND IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE SNOWED IN AND EATING A CUPCAKE ALL BY MY SELF!!
wildhog day and groundhog day! Happy birthday Tom. Hope you enjoyed that cupcake. Hope you didn't start any fires with all those candles blazing. :bdayparty: :boobies2: :boobies2: :occasion13:

RICH MUISE

Jim..could that have been Borger, Tx?  N.E. of Amarillo

JimNolan

Rich,
  That is correct. But let me tell you why I called it Buger. I was about 5 miles out and I yelled on unicom for Borie-ger, Tx. to get winds because we were getting hammered. I kept yelling and finally a guy came back to me and said " tripple 4 Juliet November, are you trying to get hold of Buger, ( as in something coming from your nose) this is buger unicom".  I told him I couldn't believe he pronounced it that way. He re-affirmed they called it Buger. Now, maybe the guy running the FBO at Borger is the only one that pronounces it that way, but that's where I got the name from. Jim P.S Stayed in Amerillo on the way out to California. Weather kept us in a motel there for two days. Had a good time running around Amerillo though. I think I saw three caucasions while I was there. LOL PSS The reason we had to turn around in New Mexico and go back to Amarillo to begin with was I ran into a sand storm. We don't have too many sand storms in Indiana.