News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

need a Hood adjustment

Started by ptwood, 2011-02-25 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

Hi
The hood placement on my 57 63A 2 Dr is slightly out of square,  where the gaps at both fenders lines are not parallel front to back, on the passenger side when hood is closed gap is about 1/8" (or less) away from the fender while wider on the opposite side. The hood is obviously skewed and thus the front gap is wider at front and narrow at the rear of hood.
and I think when the hood has been closed from time  to time (maybe by me or could have been the previous owner??)  it may have occasionally hit fender and the paint on the fender edge has chipped. I see in the manual it can be adjusted, but I don't want to attempt an adjustment and make matters worse, I see the tolerance at the very front center point of the hood is very close to the front piece where the Fairlane emblem is located.
feedback on any experiences you may have had will be appreciated , am I asking for trouble, any tricks, issues  etc .
Thank you
Peter

RICH MUISE

could also be your fenders need alighnment.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Can also be a problem with radiator core support alignment.
I know that's not much help, hopefully someone else on the Web will be able to offer you more constructive advice on realigning the hood.
If all else fails a good body shop should be able to do it for you if you can't find a solution from the members here.
BuBBA

ptwood

Thank you
I appreciate the comments.. the body shp route may be the best idea, proper tools, experience and the like..

shopratwoody

It takes awhile to get it right. My hood has been off many times
with all the engine changes etc..Just go a little bit at a time. I
even had to slot the holes where the hinge bolt on the core support.
My car has been wrecked more that once through the yrs. Mark it
at the hood and hinge connection with wax pencil or marker and
move just a little each time. It can be made right. Always close
it from the middle rear with a rag in your hand.
I hate blocksanding!