News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood clearence?

Started by fordaholic, 2011-03-01 22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

fordaholic

:I am hopeing someone can give me some specifics on a  previousley asked question. I am hopeing to get a 427 2-4 mediumriser under the stock untouched hood. Others have said they have done it. My questions are: did you use stock motor mounts or did you drop the motor slightly? What height filter will I have to use? I really want to use a 3" Filter. I would appreciate any advice on this since I am about to sort out the header situation and don`t want to find out later that I have to relocate the motor height. I have the front clip off the car , so there is no way of checking clearence. I am new to 57`s but we`re learning quick thanks to all you guys on this great site. With your help another 70D is going to be saved.     thanks   Gary

Bubba

What I can tell you is that if you use a large single element aircleaner and not two separate smaller aircleaners you will have a clearance problem with the firewall mounted hood latch. There is, however a way around that problem, if you use offset mounting studs for the aircleaner, it will move the aircleaner far enough forward to clear the hood latch.  I am also interested in the answer on hood height clearance, as i am considering using a medium riser 2x4 set up on my 428CJ engine.  I've been told there "should" be enough clearance but would like to get a confirmation from someone who's "Been There, Done That"
Welcome to the 57 Brotherhood!!
BuBBa

shopratwoody

With the low riser I just trimmed the the base to clear the hood latch
if I remember correctly. Removed hood latch and ran hood pins for
a long time. With the M/R Tunnel Wedge I had foam between the
bottom of the air cleaner and the scoop. Seems like there was clearance
though. Used 58 type fe mounts.
I hate blocksanding!

Bubba

I just checked with a friend of mine who ran an R code 427 engine in a 57.
Here said there were no hood clearance problems, but confirmed that there is a hood latch cleaerance problem unless you use the offset carb studs.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

With an FE motor sitting on stock Y-Block motor mounts (turned around backward), you will need to trim the long air cleaners slightly for clearance.   With the mounts turned around, my T-10 tranny mount lines up perfectly with the stock crossmember holes.  The only FE headers that I found that work with the stock clutch linkage are Ford Powertrain Applications shorties.  They work great and have no ground or cross member clearance issues.  They're a little pricy, but worth the money.

fordaholic

Guys thanks for the info. This is great I almost have what I need to know. Shopratwoody do you remember what height of filter you used on your low riser application? With that I should be able to get my answer since the medium riser is 1" higher. I am not even sure that I can lower the motor at all since I am just getting ready put it in place. You guys with an FE: is there any room to spare between the pan and crossmember? As far as headers I am going to try what someone mentioned on an earlier thread. 68-69 Mustang hookers????  And thank you Bubba for your warm welcome. I will be around for awhile , this ride ain`t gettin done overnite.   cheers Gary

fordaholic

Shopratwoody:  Sorry, let me corect my question. I am looking the filter element height you used not the filter height.   thanks  Gary . :dumbass:

shopratwoody

It was a K&N and not a extra thick one. More like normal for
factory dual quad application. Hope this helps. :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I tired both Mustang and Fairlane FE headers in my 57 Custom. The big problem is the 57 cross member.  If you are planning to run an automatic or hydraulic clutch linkage and are willing to modify the cross member, you may make it work.  I also tried stock Ford 390 GT & CJ cast iron manifolds.  They also have the same cross member interference problem.  Every header combination I tried was a problem until I found the FPA headers. :burnout:

Bubba

CRITES makes several sets of headers for installing different engines in 57 Fords.
They make a complete kit, engine mounts, headers, etc for installing FE engines in 57 Fords.
You will need an oil filter relocation kit as well with the Crites Headers.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

The Crites headers also require a custom transmission cross member.  I wanted to keep my car as original as possible, so I opted for the FPA headers.

57AGIN

I know there is a great desire for most to keep things looking as stock as possible.  But, I sure do wish someone still made fenderwell headers.  I think Rick's 57 Tudor looks just awsome with the fenderwell headers.

Bob
57 AGIN

Bubba

I agin chatted with my bud who ran the R code 427 in his 57.
He used stock Ford Cast 427 iron headers and was able to make them work.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

I really wanted to use stock HiPo 406 manifolds in my car and went to a lot of trouble to round up a set. No such luck unless you want to do serious modifications.  I even went to a 58 steering box, which is smaller.  No way the stock Y-block clutch linkage is going to clear the stock iron manifolds.  Of course, you can make anything work if you have the desire, time and money. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's definately not a bolt-in.  :burnout: