News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Manual brakes

Started by BAMA_57, 2011-03-03 19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

BAMA_57

I want to upgrade my master cylinder, can anyone advise me on which one to use? I'm not going to front disks just yet but will in the future, I just want the front and read divided at this point. I have a new master cylinder from a mustang I found in the shop, will it work? Will I need to run all new lines?
Thanks.
Ron
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

alvin stadel

I'v used dual master cylinders for 67 fairlanes, I have them on 2 of my cars, they'll bolt right on. I'm sure there are others that well work also. take care, Alvin

wv 57s forever

you will need to split the front and rear.

wv 57s forever

what i mean is you will need proportion valve

:deadhorse:

BAMA_57

Thanks - I looked on Autozone's website and the Mustang and Fairlane show different part numbers so I will get the Fairlane part.
The proportioning valve can split the front and rear lines and then be adjusted, right?
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Ford Blue blood

No....but one for a like late model (Granada for example) will give very close if not right on proportioning.  The important part of that device is the little piston inside it that slides to the part, (front or rear), of the brake system that has failed.  That piston turns on the brake idiot light on the dash of the later model cars but most importantly it shuts off the leak and allows the fuctioning part to continue to function.  Can't stress this too much.  With out that proportioning block all you have is a single master cylinder with two outputs. 

Might ask how I discovered this?  Lost the rear flex hose on my 36 street rod.  No brakes, pedel to the floor, car full of the wife and kids.  Lucky, I had just turned into the street we lived on and used the emergency brake to stop the car at the house.  Had a duel outlet master cylinder in the car (Granada disc/drum), no proportioning valve.  Has one now!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wv 57s forever

you can buy one that is adjustable but as stated Granada works very well that's what i have

:burnout:.

shopratwoody

I'd just use one made for a Ford rather that adjustable. I know
that ABS sells them and many other places I'm sure.
I hate blocksanding!

BAMA_57

Great info guys. I had already ordered a proportioning valve before reading this but the parts guy just ordered one for the 67 Fairlane... Should I cancel and tell them I need the Granada version?
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

canadian_ranchero

the drum brake master cylinder have the same size reservoir front and rear,and some had a residual check valve in both output ports,the disc brake ones have a larger reservoir for the disc brakes and a small one for the drums,and no check valves

Ford_Crazy

If you use a 1967 Mustang manual drum master cylinder, it's a drop in.  All you have to do is swap the actuating rod for the 57 unit and replumb the brake lines.  For a proportioning valve, the easiest thing to do is to buy the Stainless Steel brake combo valve and distribution block from Summit Racing for $110.  You can use the same valve later when you swap to disks.  Here's a link to show you how it's done.  http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/57ford/pvalve.html .