News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5 or 6 spd ??

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

57agin
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Tremac 5 or 6-speed Transmission   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to see what, major problems or concerns I'll be running into if I put a Tremac 5 or 6-speed into my 57 powered by a 351W. I'd really like to have the overdrive gearing a Tremac trans can provide. Currently, with the 3:70 rear gears, I'm buzzing about 3400 RPM at freeway speeds and I'd like to be able to put the car onto the road for some longer trips.

My current setup is a Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed, bolted up to a Lakewood bellhousing, with a Dual-friction Centerforce clutch all using the original 57 clutch pedal & linkage. I know there will be different clutch plate splines, drive shaft length and rear transmission mounts to do the conversion. Can anyone think of anything else. Has anyone done this conversion?

Due to rust issues I've had a new sheet metal tunnel fabricated. The new tunnel looks to be a bit larger than the original, but I never took any specific measurements.

The second time around is every bit as good as the first.

shopratwoody
`57 Fanatic

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: tremac   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a thought, I'd double check where the shifter would be.

Ron

Bill Krueger
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:   

I put an 89 GT 5speed in my 66 Falcon Ranchero replacing the factory 3 speed. It was as close to a bolt in as there can be!

The input shaft is 3/4" longer than the stock transmission. You can buy a spacer/adapter or use an 85 - 92 bell housing. That bell will require a little modification for the clutch. Those bells were designed for a cable (pull) clutch release. It needs to be converted to a push. If you look at the inside of the bell you can see two "markers" where the early style pivot used to go. Take the pivot out of your current bell, build a 3/4"spacer for it and you're good to go.

The really good news is the stock 66 clutch disc slide right on the input shaft, the stock 66 release bearing slid right over the input shaft sleeve and the stock 89 input needle bearing (end of crankshaft) slid right into the crankshaft after the bronze bushing was removed. There is still good news, the 66 speedo gear bolted in place and the speedo is right on (stock 3:23 gears) and the yoke of the drive shaft was a perfect fit. There was enough room for the stock 66 drive shaft to bolt up!

A little measurement will tell you where the shifter will come up but I will bet it is close to the same spot, just in the center of the tunnel vise the side as it is now.
66 Falcon Ranchero (302 EFI/5 speed)
57 Ranchero
57 Retractable
36 Chevrolet (351C/FMX/Must II/Granada rear)

57agin
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Tremac 5 or 6-speed Transmission   

Guys:

Thanks for the information and ideas re Tremac installations. I'm still in the considering what I want to do next, but wanted to know what obsticles might be in the way. A Gear Vendors overdrive is another option, but with the horsepower my Windsor is producing I believe my T-10 is the weak link in my ride. Therefore, I'm looking at various alternatives. I believe the costs to go in either direction is about a push.

The second time around is every bit as good as the first.

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

57 AGIN,
     I've decided to stay with the T85 overdrive. I to have the 3.70 gears and I've tried driving around with the overdrive locked out. Too many RPM's for a long cruise. I found all the stuff to rebuild my gearbox but it was like hunting for gold.
    The T85 was installed in Hemi's so it'll take a pounding. There's some contriversy as to it's ability to do serious drag racing but if I went that route I wouldn't be cruising in it either.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.