News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wiper motor install?????

Started by Zapato, 2011-04-05 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Anyone mount the motor under the dash, if so what did you use and have any pictures to share?

Zap- :felix:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

Cut the lower cowl tank from a 58 Ford, weld it into the lower tank of your 57,  use all 58 stuff, its the easiest way.  You also get the added benefit of arms instead of cables too.  Thats what Tom Drummondand I both did.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

Did you guys find a good 58 defrost duct, or modify one? Mark

wildhog

Mark, Ride down and look at my set up, or maybe James can post some of the pictures I sent him. I always have trouble trying to post pictures. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

I'll try to post those up later today.  It is really the best setup, uses factory Ford parts.  Ford should have come up with that a year earlier.
You will either have to find an intact 58 part (good luck), or modify your 57 part.  Mycar is everything delete so I'm not ysing one.  The 58 part I had was intact when I took it out, but disintegrated during the ride home.  Its just cardboard, so if you have one fairly intact, mix up some fiberglass resin and brush it on liberally, inside too if you can reach far enough into it.  I had planned to do that to mine, but it didnt survive the trip home.
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

James, I started cutting up a 57 duct and decided to fix the 58. I mixed up some fiberglass and troweled it on the bad spots. Then I went over the missed spots with seam sealer. Tonight I compared the 58 and the 57 side by side, the firewall is the same except for the holes on the 57 for the wiper motor.I believe the difference is on the inner firewall, just below the cowl.That is where the 58 mounts the wiper motor. When I did the 58 installation of the electric motor, I had the dash out and took pictures. Hopefully I can find them and post them, I figured this topic would come up. Tom, I need to get this car a little further along, then I'll be ready for a road trip and to see what you are up to. I have this car home in my shop now and am working on it almost daily. Got comformation on haggerty insurance today, they are talking 70 degrees this weekend, so things are looking good. This has been a long cold spring in the midwest, rarely out of the 30s. Mark

Zapato

By any chance 59 same as 58?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Frankenstein57

I don't know for sure, but I bet it is. Many of the 58 parts are the same on the 59. I just ordered door gaskets, window gaskets and other  parts from dearbourn classics, most stuff fit the 59 too. Took a long time to get through to dearborn, the were bought by a Chevy parts supplier.I told him not to pollute dearborn, ha ha  Mark

JPotter57

No, 59 is completely different.  I got the wiper transmissions from a 59, and nothing is the same about them, the rods are longer, the wiper motor mounts in a different place, best bet is a 58...
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

just so I am clear (easily distracted I am) besides all the obvious wiper related parts I should also cut out piece of the firewall where the motor assembly itself mounts. Anyone have a picture of that install or a factory part book illustration?

Don't mean to be doing this > :deadhorse: but guess I am.
Zapato

RICH MUISE

Just for reference sake, because mine is allready done, I'd like to see some pics of the cowl area work needed also. I of course went the more difficult route...seems to be my modus operendii (sp?). And also I think I may have asked this before...are the '58 motors rebuildable, or available as a repop? I ask because it seems '58's are a lot scarcer than '57's.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Guys, I think I mentioned that the 58 is also vaccum operated. So if you go inboard you need to get the electric replacement. I have a 58 shop manual that has a picture of the stock setup and the cowl linkage. I don't have a scanner to send the pics. I'll go in and look at my camera disc, I know I took pictures with the dash out. Stay tuned, Mark

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, sorry it took so long, I suck at computers!   :deadhorse:

Check out the pictures I took before I put my dash back in the 58.  It shows the wiper motor area and the cowl area. 

Zapato

pictures are great, what motor and arms did you use?

Zapato

Frankenstein57

Zap, the arms and bezels arm from a 58 ford, the motor I got from Newport engineering. I think it was on ebay. Nice kit, came with a switch and wiring. I was able to put a 58 knob on their switch, 2-speed motor. Probably was one of the easier upgrades I did on this car.Now bolting this on a 57 will be a different deal.When I get time I'll put a set of arms on the 57, and see if a motor could be installed without the 58 cowl, with some sheet metal mods. Mark