News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front brake spring

Started by outcruisen, 2011-04-20 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi all.. I am after the spring that runs between the 2 brake shoes on the front drum set up on a 1957 Fairlane.. Guessing all 1957 models would be the same..

Anyway, the spring is the one that runs accross the whole assembly from shoe to shoe, and sort of forms the triangle on the upper portion of the brake set up. It is approx 5 inches long, with the spring part itself about 1 and 1/2 inches long. I have a drawing that was printed off a parts catalouge and it is listed as part number 2035. (2 small and this longer spring seem to all have the same part number)..

No one here in Australian parts stores has ever seen anything like it.. Not even the Galaxie boys I know have ever seen it.. Is there an alternative that can be used, or as there are 2 other springs that seem to be performing the same task, would leaving it off cause an issue you think.

Cheers

Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

Ford soon stopped using that cross spring, I would think leaving it off would cause no problems.

John

outcruisen

Yea.. i saw the 57 was the only model that had it.. Prior and post 57 no diagrames list it. It was only on the right hand side of the car, but the left one that was missing, had the brake that kept sticking on after a few pumps of the brake.

Thinking that it may have been a deteriated brake line as when i tried to blow through the line (once off), it was hard for even air to get through. Been told that under brake booster pressure the brake fluid can be forced into the wheel cylinder, but the springs dont have enough pressure to push the fluid back.. Anyway, 2 new brake cylinders and rubber hoses to both front wheels.. i am hoping problem is fixed..

I will leave the spring off and see what happens..

Cheers