News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351w in a Cavalier

Started by Alex L., 2011-05-23 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

Check it out, i bet it's not what you thought.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=637

This is the new engine i'm going to put in my 57. This is a picture of me bringing it home. As is obvious, i don't have a truck or any other vehicle like that.

Where there's a will there's a way.

RICH MUISE

That was a surprise Alex...I'm impressed with your creativety. How did you get it in and out..was there room for a cherry picker? Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Allrighty then.........nice job.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Alex L.

I was able to lift it clear of the door sill with an engine crane.

The door closed completely and there was enough wiggle room that i had to put a block between the center console and the block.

There isn't very many ford engines on the local kijiji site so when a decent one came up i jumped at the opportunity. It had already be built by someone else for a vehicle they sold before they installed the engine.

The engine that is currently in my 57 is in rough shape and seems to have just been dropped in by the P.O. so he could sell it. It would have to make a trip to the machine shop in order to be in proper useful condition so i figured a new engine was a cheaper bet. The block on the new engine already has been to the machine shop in the last 2 years so i am pretty assured it is in good shape.

You would be surprised what a determined person can fit in a cavalier, with the seat out i can close the trunk on 10ft bundles of pipe.

JPotter57

That's hardcore, man....Awesome.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Alex L.

I thought it was a pretty hardcore, committed thing to do.

Can you believe I posted this same thing on the HAMB and it got taken down?

Lou

New meaning for the term "Mid-engine",  I love it....LOL

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Alex L. on 2011-05-24 16:55
I thought it was a pretty hardcore, committed thing to do.

Can you believe I posted this same thing on the HAMB and it got taken down?
I can believe it..some guys just don't see any humor in life....which reminds me...did you hear about the redneck who thought a catalyctic convertor was someone who did missionary work for the vatican??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Hey, Rich, some of my best friends are catalytics....:)
I also can believe that about the hamb, which is why I dont get on there that much.  I spend my time driving my junk, not designing my next tatoo or rolling an extra cuff into my jeans, or changing the oil in my hair.  I drive my 61 unibody every day and plan to drive my 57 likewise when it is far enough along.  In fact, it will become my daily while my unibody gets a new coat of black....possibly with traditional flames laid across the front......
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Alex: 

When I looked at your engine in the Cavalier I had to do a double take.  It looked like you stopped out here in California and raided Rick's garage where my freshly painted 351W is stashed and waiting to be put back into my 57.  lol  Check out the attached photo to see what I mean. 

Also, Cavalier's arent the only vehicles that can hold 10 foot bundle of pipe.  My 57 is configured to hold 10 foot surfboards and shut the trunk and I gotta tell you that surfboards are a lot more fun than bundles of pipe. lol again

Bob
57 AGIN

Alex L.

that is a sweet engine.

Mine is not quite that nice, no aluminum heads for me.

I suppose surfboards are more fun that bundles of pipe, but at least i know what to do with a bundle of pipe.

Ford Blue blood

Can't say I ever took out a seat to carry an engine.....but I did use the bath tub in our one bath house to clean a Boss 302 for mid season refresh....it really doesn't need to be said the wife was not happy!  But that happened only two days after using the dish washer to get the carb ready... :003:...yup been fun!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Alex L.

Yeah, i currently don't have that problem, one of the upsides of singleness.

That cavalier has been a workhorse and will be until it falls apart.

Frankenstein57

That's cool, at work I was replacing a boiler, we usually put the iron on the curb for the scrap haulers, this guy put a whole boiler cast iron section right on his front seat, never thought twice about it.   Mark

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-05-24 17:48
I also can believe that about the hamb, which is why I dont get on there that much.  I spend my time driving my junk, not designing my next tatoo or rolling an extra cuff into my jeans, or changing the oil in my hair. 

James, I was going to say the same thing about the HAMB.  I grew up during that time and I can say with certianty that "traditional" was/is not what they are hanging their hat on.  "Back in the day" you were not "in" if you didn't have a 32 or 40 Ford and the "Kustom" crowd wouldn't look at you if it wasn't a Merc or maybe a Hudson.  The rest of us were wana bees with black wheels and chrome (silver paint) lug nuts and 3/4" white walls and the muffler cut so you could seal it back up before ya got home!  And we had shiney paint!  Even the hot rods had shiney paint, may have been put on with a vacuum cleaner paint gun but it was still shiney!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero