News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero gets a makeover

Started by Frankenstein57, 2011-06-10 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

As some of you know,the ranchero I bought was an unfinished project. It was already painted,and sporting a flame job. The paint job is a 10 footer at best, well we finally got it into my friends paint shop to fix the drivers side quarter panel. They got into some problems with the clear and had about 6 runs. So we finished taking the trim and stuff off, he starts sanding on it and decides we're re- shooting the whole car! Turns out the prep work they did was excellent, just didn't do a good job with the paint and clear. I've done alot of HVAC work for him, so the car is costing me materials only. I also have the option of losing the flame job, but its kind of grown on me. Kind of a bummer removing all sorts of parts I all ready installed, but he's a perfectionist and should be show quality.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark...sounds like a hell of a deal. One note on the runs he got on the Clearcoat. I use Matrix #42 clearcoat..it's advertised to be "run resistant"... which is a big plus for a non-pro like me....should be even better for someone like your friend who's a pro. When I shot the paint on the back end/roof of my car a few weeks ago, I sprayed and checked the sealer coat really close, and found several runs which I sanded out and retouched before shooting the basecoat. Same thing with the basecoat..I went around and checked before and after the last coat of base,...also found small runs.
The matrix clearcoat was a different story...a medium first coat followed by three double coats...alot of clear...and  not even the smallest run or sag. I've used it for years...have a car in the driveway I painted a fender and bumper cover on 3 years ago and still looks like new. The stuff has alot of depth to it after color sanding and buffing, sands out real well(I honestly don't have alot to compare that to).
At a car show 4 or 5 years ago I was looking at a gorgeous paint job an experienced guy had done at home and he was the one that recommended the Matrix stuff to me. Took his advise and have always been happy with the products.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Rich, that sounds like a good product. He gave me several options on the clear, wow that stuff isn't cheap! I'm not worried to much about runs with him pulling the trigger. I'm pretty stoked about this paint job getting fixed, I couldn't pull in to a cruise night with runs all over the car.  Rich, any suggestions on a source for the clips and fasteners for the stainless trim? Seems to be a variety on this car. I looked in the parts supplier catalogs, most everyone has them. Mark

RICH MUISE

I'm going to be looking for the side trim clips myself shortly..don't have a source yet...got to figure out what I need first...I have decided to use the kind that rotate into a position held in place with a wire spring. I know the originals had those plus other syles, but I don't see any reason why the same type all the way down wouldn't work as well.
My local paint shop wanted 244. gallon for the Matrix 42 (they make a cheaper #52, but I wouldn't take a chance with it). I found it online out of el paso for 187. gallon...free shipping with 2 gallons, which you'll need anyway. My buddy at the restoration shop will only use Sherman Williams #950(?) on his top end paint jobs..300. a gallon.

Frankenstein57

What I've learned about the fasteners is obvious, you have threaded fasteners in the areas you can reach to operate a wrench, and push in , or expanding type where there is no access. On this car the push in ones had alot of variety, that is why I'm asking for opinions. Some had a split plastic toggle like protrusion into the panel, which I hadn't seen on any 57s.  Mark

Frankenstein57

Just got home from the paint shop, WOW!  We painted the ranchero today and it turned out awesome. This is the first paint job that I have been hands on involved with, quite an education. We used a sickens primer/sealer , then Dupont base coat and clear. Interesting how every little swirl mark or imperfection showed up, then later disappeared with the application of the final coats. I really enjoyed doing the grunt work, even the block sanding Ron. I'll see if I can get some pics on here, and of the re-assembly  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark...sounds like you're getting your education the right way...sure wish I had had the opertunity to work along side a pro and learn the tricks and tecniques the right way...goood for you! It's probably turned out to be more tedious and time consuming than you probably could have imagined?? What color did you paint it?...anxious to see pics.
Also..we were talking side trim clips...I installed one side earlier this week...found everything I needed at my paint supply shop...made by w & E mfg..called wee-pacs. I used a combination of the threaded and the plastic push on..worked out great....I covered the paint around the mounting holes with 2" blue painter's masking tape to keep the trim from scratching the paint while I was marking the trim with a grease pencil to get approximate hdwre. locations, and kept the tape on while I slid the pieces to the exact location.
Rich

Frankenstein57

Rich, the car was last painted black, so I stayed with it. Then we didn't have to re-spray the jambs and under sides. The interior was also black, I did introduce some gold into the interior as there was to much black.As to the time, you are correct. Now when I hear what a paint job costs, I get it. Good to hear about the clips for the stainless trim, the parts guys want a pretty penny for the repro ones. Going over there this morning to see when he wants to wet sand & buff. We have a good car show today, an old car club puts it on in a park alongside a river, music ,food ,beer, and fine cars. What else could you want?  Thanks, Mark

Ford Blue blood

Mark can you post a couple of pictures for us?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Mark:

Wish I were able to work alongside Santini & help out on mine.  As it is, I get over to the shop after work and get to take pictures of whatever was done since my last visit.  Your way is definitely better.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, I finally got most of the trim and accessories back on the car.  Some pictures to share with all.  Took the car to a race car car show and got a lot of nice compliments!  Really enjoying driving this car around after it being on lockdown in the paint booth all summer.  Mark

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Yeah..pics! Looks really great Mark...'57 or 8?
So, what did you end up with for buffing techniques that we were discussing...did you do it all, or did you get some help with the paint shop crew? How long did it take to get the entire car buffed out?
Black on black just can't be beat for a color combo. Any "before pics"?
Rich

shopratwoody

Looks great Mark,
I like Black also. That block sanding is fun isn't it.
It's got 58 trim on it Rich. Again, looks real good.
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

Thanks guys, it's a 58, or a 4 eyed 57. Actually built in 57. Rich, my painter did the buffing on the paint, he had a guy buff through trying to help on a different car, so he did this one. I was busy at work, he said it was a 3-step process. As far as the stainless we talked about, I didn't have the patience to sand it all down. I bought some buffing wheels at harbor freight, put them on my bench grinder, clamped it to a workmate bench and did a series of buffing procedures. I used some cleaners first, then some scratch remover compound on a buff wheel,then jewelers rouge on a buff wheel. When finished I would hand wipe the stuff to a shine with mothers or Flitz. Really brought out the finish. I believe I posted when I brought this car home, 2 or so years ago. Now the car is screaming out for some nice wheels, tires, and a re chrome on the rear bumper. Good thing my son is in his last year of college,  Mark