News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Destroyed my 3.70 Equi-Loc

Started by JimNolan, 2011-06-26 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Jim & F570rd:

Just goes to show that you can't trust photos very much any more.  lol  Whatever happended to the concept that a "picture is worth a thousand words?"  The avatar really does look awesome.

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Bob, Zap, F570rd,
    I called Chuck at Traction Masters and he said they made the correct bars for my car. And, he said they made them back in 1957 also. There's a couple points he made about my application.
1. The idea I had about moving the location of the front mount pad further forward so I could weld to the frame and not bother the spring perch was a bad idea. He doesn't want the bar that far forward.
2. He had the prints of my 57 frame layed out in front of him discribing what I had. That was nice.
3. He's having me call back tomorrow with the measurement of the front spring eye to center of spring plate at the axle. And, he wants me to double check U-bolt diameter and mount hole diminsions.
4. The front pad weldment consists of a "L" shaped bracket that will weld onto the frame with a pin that centers the end of the rod directly underneath the center of the spring eye.
   The first thing he wanted to know was how much horsepower I had. Then his next comment was " how did you break an axle with no more horsepower than that ".
    I'll call back tomorrow and order them. I might as well. I'm going to be putting bigger heads,cam, intake and headers on it. It'll just be something I won't have to do this winter. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Fire burnouts were cool...fuel altereds used to do ut all the time til Wally banned it in around 74 or so....truly a spectacle.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm tired of waiting on a differential that hasn't even been shipped yet from California. I'm picking a nodular unit up from Moser tomorrow at 2:00 pm. They charge an extra $100.00 for overnight assembly but I don't see being able to make a vacation trip to Ky. this weekend without doing it this way. I'll just try and sell the unit from California on Ebay when it gets here. That, or use it in the 63. I got the Nodular 9" Tru-Trac W/ Aluminum Daytona Pinion support. Hopefully it will be in the car tomorrow by 7:00 pm. Jim  PS. Some people never learn.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

A little off topic, but you are an airplane guy.  Did you know Greg Moser, the founder of the company?  He liked racing planes, he and his wife died a few years ago in the crash of his 427 Chev powered plane.

John

JimNolan

John,
   No, I didn't know Greg but after reading the NTSB report of the accident he seemed well qualified to fly a complex, high speed aircraft. The report said his airplane came apart at 11,000 ft. Wind shear at altitude over stressed his airplane and broke it up. I bet he would have been a fun guy to talk flying with. Jim

JimNolan

On the road again. Like a gypsy rolling down the highway.

RICH MUISE

Let's get it together Jim..lol...it's "like a band of gypsies rollin' down the highway"   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

I'm sorry Rich, When I grew up it was songs like " I'm wearing out the shoes that Charlie wore". Then after a brief spell with the Beatles and Rolling Stones I paid more attention to raising kids. I missed the enlightened free love period all together. Darn
  I ran the rear gear train while it was in the air. It didn't make a sound. It was silent, great. Then I pulled into the drive way and made a 90 degree turn into the garage at a real slow speed. The drive train started vibrating at a small but constant amount, so I put it in reverse and backed up and pulled forward again. I got out and looked under it to make sure I hadn't lost something. It drove great all the way home and I didn't feel anything at a higher speed than crawl. The noise it was making was like a piece of rubber slipping and catching on something. Not a loud noise, just enough to hear it. I'll get used to it. I'm driving about 100 miles to a car show tomorrow, I hope it's just the Tru-Trac doing what it's suppose to do. Jim

Ford Blue blood

Those are happy noises! :burnout:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Guys,
   My Tru-Trac from California came in today. Looks good. I've got it listed for sale.

JimNolan

another picture. Jim

JimNolan

another, another picture. Jim

burns

that shuddering sound is the clutches breaking loose. hopefully it is only making noise while doing low speed turns?? If you haven't already, add a couple ounces of friction modifier from ford. that will solve the problem.

JimNolan

Moser said " do not put friction modifier in a Tru-Trac. Jim