News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FPA Headers

Started by JimNolan, 2011-07-28 07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Question: What's Stan's last name at FPA. I'm suppose to get my headers pretty soon and when I do I think I'll publish an artical with pictures so the rest of you know just exactly what you're getting into.
  When I spoke to Stan and ordered the headers he made me understand that if I had any problems whatsoever with the installation that I should contact him and he would make it right. I will do that. After all, how many suppliers do we have for our 57's. This should be interesting since he has a new, tighter pipe bending machine. Hopefully I'll be able to get the job done in two or three days. ( heaven forbid my car go down for any length of time). Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

His name is Stan Johnson. If anyone has ever installed headers I can't see anything out
of the ordinary. A dent here and there is not uncommon on any header. :003:
The quality is excellent.
I hate blocksanding!

Zapato

I understand how a header is designed  for a production car with all known parameters. But how the hell does one design a set for any swap and assure fit is beyond me. Engine placement up or down or forward or backward even an inch each way has to play havoc when designing it. Seems that if you do say the same swap say a FE into a 3 different 57s with 3 different guys fabricating mounts the finish results could be quite different. I'd appreciate any insight, any header manufacturers out there care to chime in.

Zap- :unitedstates:

i
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Zap,
   There's only a couple engine mounts that fit an FE to begin with I thought. You can swap sides with Y Block mounts or you can buy the 58 FE mount. My car has only two places as far as I know that will cause me problems. The first is the Upper A Frame and that's the most important area. The second is the Z bar location for the clutch. I know for a fact I'll have problems in that area because Stan told me I would. He also told me how to fix that problem. I realize this isn't like buying a new clutch pressure plate only to find out the holes don't match the crank. You'd have reason to get upset then.
    FPA has taken upon itself to build a set of headers for a perticularlly tough application. If you want to cut up your A-Frames or beat dents in the header pipes, then probably anyones headers will work. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do. But, at the same token there's nothing wrong with someone that doesn't want to do that. It isn't like FPA is giving these headers away. They cost money. They should cost money if it works. After seeing the clearance problems with my 57 I'm just glad someone has taken on the challenge to build a header that fits with minimal alternations. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would like to know what's involved with putting headers on their 57 before they invest the money in them. It's sort of like that Tremec installation I did on my car. I'm sure that helped some people make the decision on whether to go that route or not. I've looked all over the internet searching for an artical on header installation on a 57 Ford Fairlane. I haven't found one yet.
   As far as a Header Designer getting on here and explaining the Design Criteria and Installation of his product, you're right. I wish Stan had the time to sit down and write an artical and explain to everyone the same things he explained to me over the phone. I'm sure he takes the same time as he did with me when someone else calls him about buying headers. It would be nice and this would be a good forum and website for it. Jim

rmk57

Crites states you must use there motor mounts and trans mount for proper header fitment. I made my own and they fit fine although
ground clearance is quite low.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

RMK57,
   I didn't go with the long tube headers because of the 63 Galaxie I'm restoring. I bought Mad Dog full length headers for the 63 Galaxie and proceeded to put some nice dents in them scraping them on the road when I'd hit a bump. I bought springs that lifted the front end of that car two inches to make sure I don't put any more dents in the headers or a hole in my extended oil pan. I'm waiting to get that car out of the body shop to find out if I can align the front end with it raised two inches. The 57 can't be raised too much in the front end and still be able to do a wheel alignment. Been there, done that. Wore the insides of a good set of Michelin tires out by doing that. Jim

Zapato

Quote from: JimNolan on 2011-07-29 06:57

As far as a Header Designer getting on here and explaining the Design Criteria and Installation of his product, you're right. I wish Stan had the time to sit down and write an article and explain to everyone the same things he explained to me over the phone. I'm sure he takes the same time as he did with me when someone else calls him about buying headers. It would be nice and this would be a good forum and website for it. Jim

Jim, maybe he would take time if you a happy customer asked him. Would be interesting read without him having to give away any proprietary tricks.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Zapato,
I'm not a happy customer yet. I haven't got them yet. But, when I do. I'll be more than happy to share my experience after the installation. It surprises me that we don't have more Companies with items for sale that pertain mainly to our cars. Maybe James can tell us.  I know 57fords.com have advertisements on their website. From speaking to Stan I've come to the conclusion that Stan stays busy. He had an 8 week backlog on making headers for me.
   Maybe I'm just partial to this website but I get more information of the real world on this website. Don't get me wrong but there's a difference when it come's to advice you get on some of the forums. I might ask a question on a website forum about the way to improve performance of an FE and get into a conversation with a group of guys that run the Nostalgia Racing Circuit that has never seen any miles put on their car other than a quarter mile at a time. While it's good information it doesn't really apply to what you may be wanting to accomplish with your application. One of the two biggest mistakes I've made is not listening to the Hurricane on putting $1000.00 dollars into a T85 and where to buy axles and differentials. I've decided to pay more attention to advice from those that have been there and quit trying to save money on the things I buy for my 57. I've lost too much time and money trying to save money. Jim

shopratwoody

The 385 series engine is a lot bigger than an FE. Stan's headers fit real well in my car..
It's a tight fit for sure. I always had custom built headers on my FEs' when racing the car.
For what I do with it now the shorties are fine. The car is so low you couldn't put long headers
on it now anyway. I have banged a set or two on a dry hop :burnout: not good. Came down and
header hit and bent tie rod.
  Anyway, pls do show us how the fit and install. :001:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

F570RD

Funny about the tie rod.My long tube Crites were dented on the top of number 1 and 2 tube because of the car leaving hard.I had installed a stopper other that the factory piece but it just grazed them a bit.It did help that I had high port Blue Thunder heads to keep them off the ground some but you then bring them to other stuff to hit......lol

JimNolan

Guys,
   Headers came today. They look very nice. They are coated Gray. Can't wait. Jim

Jeff Norwell

Looks great Jim....look well put together.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JimNolan

Jeff,
   The flanges are really thick and the pipes seem to be thick also. It surprised me how well finished they are. There's no way I'm going to beat something that looks this nice into submission. After seeing the headers I'll consider triming the A arms slightly if need be. But as Stan said, he's 99.8% sure I won't have to. Hopefully I'll get these on next week. I'm going to do this first, the traction masters second and wait to later in the year to put the new heads, cam and intake on. I'd rather use a motor with 27,000 proven miles on it than a newly assembled one to take trips with the rest of the summer. Besides, 40 more horsepower isn't going to make me think I've got a hemi under the hood anyway. Jim

Jeff Norwell

Interesting read fellas.
I must be from Missouri(show me) or a doubting Thomas. ha ha ha.
Jim... does installation require loosening the motor mounts? Do you install from the top or must you install from under the car?
rmk57 stated that Crites requires the use of new motor mounts...this would be a 58 332 fe mount I assume? I too have heard about just using a Yblock V8 mount and "flipping" around.I have no doubt on this..I just can't see it in my head.I guess using either or of the above mentioned processes can set the FE in a different location, albiet small.. but a 1/2 inch can make a world difference(I assume.)
I certainly would not want to dent a tube... too expensive. Your pictures sure look great!... and by all accounts...I have heard that Crites makes a good product. Small companies have a tough time surviving these days(hell,.any days!) ha ha ha
Your absolutely right Jim..it all costs money and thats why I am a doubting Thomas when I hear "how cheap" I built my car... cause ..I must of missed that memo.... It's never been that way for me.
I must plan every move i make like a bobby Fisher chess player. hahahaha.
Jim,hemis are underated... trust me.I know. :001:
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

shopratwoody

Jeff,
The Hemi thing is funny. They were over rated in the 50's too' (in stock form for sure)
As for your FE, I always preferred the 58 FE mounts. That way I was sure it was like a
factory install. Like I mentioned before my FE headers were always custom made.
FPA stuff is high quality. I am very happy with mine. (shortys) I really like the ball type
connection to the street exhaust. Mine are flash chromed. I don't remember if I
ordered them that way or not. :003: I did't dent mine. I trimmed oter things where
needed.
P.S. Sorry IMO they were over rated around here :004:
I hate blocksanding!