News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Traction Masters Installation

Started by JimNolan, 2011-08-26 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I installed the Traction Masters on my car yesterday and I thought I'd give you a summary.
  Rear Mount: The installation of the rear mount is agrivating to say the least. The holes they drill in the plate may be correctly spaced but the holes still have to be enlarged to 1/2" and one or two of the holes will have to be elongated to compensate for the u-bolts not being precisely spaced on the car.
Front Mount: The bottom of the frame on a 57 Ford is not flat and a piece of .200 thick stock needs to be welded onto the low side of the frame to make a good flat pad mount. Between me and Chuck at Traction Masters we decided to go with a 37 1/2" bar. That puts the front pad forward of the spring eye by 10".
Conclusion: I tack welded the front mounts on and took it to a muffler shop to get a professional to do the welding. When we tried to put the car on his hoist the front mounts hit the ramp and wouldn't allow me to go on the hoist. ( This was a small incline ). Without doubt if I need to put my car on my car trailer I'll have to raise the front of the trailer to reduce the ramp incline. ( If I have this trouble it's unacceptable. ) The best setup I've seen so far is Bob's Custom using the Cal-Tracs. But, that also has it's drawbacks since the front spring perch has to be completely redesigned.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

F570RD

For some reason I thought you had this traction bar stuff done.I should have just sent you my old slapper bars.We both would have been happy.

JimNolan

I went to the drag strip once with the slapper bars I had. I really liked them. They picked the car straight up. I just got scared they'd hurt the springs. Jim

JimNolan

This morning I decided to find out if installing the Traction Masters 10" forward of the front spring eye would have any influence in wheel height when the car was jacked up. IT DOES but it's marginal at best. This was a worry that I had with the Traction Masters not being the same length as the spring. I'm including a picture of the car jacked up with 26.7" tires. Previously with the 27.1" tires I had on it the top of the tire just cleared the fender. I'd say the Traction Masters prohibit the tires from coming all the way down by about an inch. Jim PS  I've hit every bump from here to Ft. Wayne and the 55 Ford Shocks are doing great. I don't think I'll ever bottom the shocks out.