News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1964 toploader bearing retainer

Started by JPotter57, 2011-09-08 10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I need the input shaft bearing retainer, which is the part the throwout bearing rides on.  I need one from either the narrow pattern toploader 4 speed or a 3.03 model three speed trans also 64 or earlier, toploader design trans.  Let me know what you have and how much before I have a regular retainer turned down.  The proper size for this part is 4 11/16 if you have one just laying around.  Thanks in advance....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lou

Is that a Borg-Warner trans?  If so we have a Borg-Warner distributor here in town, if you have a part number I can check with him about the part.

JPotter57

No, this one is for the Toploader, or T&C trans. The BW part is easy to find, I am discovering.  I found several on ebay, friends, etc.  The `65 and later bearing retainer has an OD of 4 7/8, while the first year 64 retainer and early BW retainers have an OD of 4 11/16.  I have an extra 65 retainer that I am taking to the machine shop tomorrow to get turned down to the smaller OD.  I had a heck of a time trying to find a machine shop that would do it.  I'm not trying to turn water into wine here, just trying to get my toploader ready to bolt up to my Y block, that's all.....
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Found a local shop that turned it down for me. They turned it to 4 11/16, or 4.6875, and the fit was a little snug.  If anyone else has this done, turn it to 4.685.  I ended up taking some out of the center register with some sand paper, not a lot, just enough so the bearing retainer can fit without being forced, and possibly breaking mounting ears on my toploader.
Old, loud, and fast.