News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cutting front springs

Started by JimNolan, 2011-09-29 18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Have any of you guys had experience cutting some of the coils off of a front spring. My galaxie is too high and it rides like a log wagon. I'm afraid if I cut a coil off to lower the car it'll end up lower but still ride like a log wagon. On the other hand, stuffing two more inches of spring between the A frames probably made it stiffer also. Anyone with experience cutting springs. If so, what did you end up with. Thanks, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

TexasFordGuy

Jim,  I would think that you may be better off with a set of the Aerostar springs for ride quality goes.  From what I have read, compared to a set of cut springs the ride is suppose to way better.  The springs are pretty cheep too.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

JPotter57

Aerostar springs will probably lower his car, though, and that's not Jim's bag.  FEs are pretty heavy, the aerostar springs work ok for windsor type motors, but be too low with the FE.  If you cut the springs you have, it may increase the spring rate and be even stiffer than it is now.  If you have the stock springs that came in it, I'd put those back in it and see how it looks.  I am sure it would ride better.  Maybe find a set of mid 70's 460 Lincoln Continental springs, that would do it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James and TexasFordGuy,
   Bit the bullet again. The old springs aren't going to work because that's where I got the dents in my headers to begin with. I called Detroit Eaton and told them I wanted springs two inches higher than stock. Well, that's what I have now. A 270 lb man can crawl under the car now and not hit the headers. I feel like I'm riding in a pickup. I estimate the springs they sent me have raised the car at least 4" higher that what it was with the old springs. Also I took out another life insurance policy on myself when I installed those suckers. I dread taking them out again.
   Anyway, since last post I found they made three different springs for a 63 Galaxie. I ordered the springs for a XL with AC and Automatic transmission. If my deep sump and headers are too close to the ground I'll use spacers if I have too. I just don't want to get into a spring ordering war like I did with the 57. Detroit Eaton never could get me what I wanted for the 57.
James, I believe you're right about the spring tension of those springs. I afraid cutting them would just prolong my agony and cause needless time consumption. Jim

F570RD

Come on Jim,be the Hotrodder you are and do the flame and tame.All the kids are do'n it.

JimNolan

F57ORD,
   You know I'd have to ask. What is Flame and Tame? If it's something stupid, I've already done it and didn't know what to call it. Jim

JPotter57

Heat `em with a torch and drop it til it bottoms, lol....
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   It sounds just as precise as ordering from Eaton Detroit. I could probably adjust height better that way. Jim

JPotter57

Old, loud, and fast.

glen b henderson

Just put a set of taller tires (slicks) on the rear and it will level out. I sort of like the look of it now, old skool.
Freedom is not Free

JimNolan

Glen,
   I'm like you, I like the higher stance. But, the top A frame is resting on the frame. I ain't going to listen to that thumping all the time. I got my new springs in today. They are the same spring that came out of it when I installed these (stock + 2") that Detroit Eaton sold me. Two inches over stock height would have been great. To bad Detroit Eaton don't know what they are doing. The really stupid part of it all is I did business with them after they couldn't get the ride height right on the 57. The springs I bought this time came from RockAuto, they are Raybestos brand. The new spring is about 1/4" free height higher and I hope they have more tension. I don't know how much tension a spring loses in 50 yrs., I hope it's a lot and the car will sit up without putting spacers in it to keep the pipes off the ground. Jim

JimNolan

Got the springs changed. The car is level now with the rear shackles flipped. I took a picture to show clearance. It drives good without making thumping sounds. Jim

shopratwoody

From my experience the long tube headers are always a problem unless the car is raised up some.
Had several  custom made sets thru the years. Car looks great :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Shoprat,
   The car rides really nice and it's setting up about two inches farther than what it was when I got the car. If I'd have ordered a set of stock springs I would have been OK to begin with. The rear still has the shackles flipped and it sits about level. So, that means the rear springs are gone too. I'm not fooling with that now. I've got trim to polish and put on the car first.
   I floored it today. Couldn't help myself. It left a patch of rubber when it went into 2nd and third too. Love the shift kit. It's actually smoother shifting from low to 2nd and 3rd when it's under power. It thumps when shifting at slower speeds. When it's under power the shifts are instantanious and theres no thumping to it. Just tires squealing.
   I made Jay take back the 9" forged stall converter and I put a 2200 rpm 12" converter in it hoping that cruising wouldn't heat the transmission as much. I like what I've got so far except I had to put 93 octane in it to make the valve quit rattling during acceleration. I've got a 10.5 compression ratio. This car is what I'm driving now hoping to get the motor broke in before it has to sit this winter. This is the first drive-train that I've put this much of an investment into, I hope it works out OK. Jim

F570RD

Don't know if you said in an earlyer post but the headers look like Crites.I've lived through the Crites height saga.Good looking car Jim.Is it FE powered?