News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finishing the painting on 57 AGIN

Started by 57AGIN, 2011-11-02 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Well Everyone:

It looks like the painting portion of refurbishing 57 AGIN is nearing the final stages.  Santini may wind up giving me a 68Th birthday present and not even realize he's doing it.  I think the car should be coming home (to Rick's garage) either this week or next.  I'm sure ready to get to work on putting the car back together and getting it back on the road.  I'm still not sure what's going to be done inside the area where the gold anodized trim went.  Some pieces of it are out being nickle plated at this time, afterwhich they may be tinted or not depending on how they look with the pewter/blue combination.  The interior trim pieces, window frames, front splash pan, etc. went out for media blasting last Friday and should be back today.  Anyway, that's where things stand with my project today.  Boy, am I getting antsy to get it back.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Bob when are you going to put a shine on that thing........ :003:....looking real nice!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Bob,
   Your car looks good. Glad to see you getting it out of Body Shop Jail. Without doubt it has a different appearance than the previous paint job. The previous paint job seemed old school to me. The new one seems retro-mod.
   I've had my 63 out for a couple of months now and I've worked on it every day with no end in sight. The bad thing is I'm beginning to really like that car and I feel guilty liking it. Everything is going good, I just have the interior to do now and put a 2.75 rear gear in it so I can drive it down the highway without the engine screaming.
   Have you got your interior figured out yet. I'd imagine you'd just recover the original or have you got something else in mind. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

The colors look great Bob, and the finish is flawless.  Can't wait to see it back together....More pics, Bob....Great job!
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Thanks Guys:

Ford Blue Blood
As soon as the car gets home, the beginning is to clean up the frame & suspension and get it painted with a good Rustoleum.  Santini will provide the gun and recommendation for the paint to use.  So, I'll finally be putting some shine without benefit of the rapidly dwindling wallet.

Jim
Yes, the car is no longer a period correct street rod, it's now a resto-mod.  The interior will still have the fold down back seat for my surfboard, and the same bench seating arrangement.  However, the seats will have more contour than before and there will be some arm rests installed.  I'm still partial to tuck & roll but that will be a discussion between me and the upholsterer.  We've already discussed the fabric, it will be a synthetic ultra-leather. 

I've gone a much different route than you with traveling down the highway, as I still want to put the car onto the drag strip on occasion.  A TKO 600 5-speed, with a .64 overdrive will keep the long distance traveling much nicer.  It will also provide a bit steeper gear for the launch and handle the torque.

James
I'd love to take the car east in the near future to meet up with fellow 57 owners, do some show & shine and maybe a bit of quarter mileing.  That depends on my retirement picture & the wife.

Bob
57 AGIN

shopratwoody

Looks great Bob. I love putting the pieces back together. Definetly look'n good. Hope you get some decent #'s out of it too.
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Ron:

Thanks, the putting back together will be much slower than the first time in 2003/04.  We'll probably be trying to hide more of the engine compartment wiring to keep things less cluttered.  Also, Pete has painted a couple of my MSD boxes, the blower carb enclosure, valve covers & plug wire cover to match the body's paint scheme.  The car, when looked at under fluorscent lighting tubes, looks to be absolutely straight, which is a far cry from what it looked like before.  Lots more esthetics stuff than performance goodies, as I go to lots more shows than drag races.  Definitely looking forward to getting started on the rebuild. 

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

57AGIN

The 57 is due to travel tomorrow back to my garage about 10 months after the start of the project.  Naturally, we're due to have scattered showers tomorrow in good 'ole "it never rains in Southern California."  But, like I always tell my fellow car show buddies, "it's OK the darn things just don't shrink."  Pretty soon a new thread will be started, showing the getting it back on the road.

Bob
57 AGIN

tarheel57

Nice,I like the colors you are using.Going to be sharp when you are done! :burnout:

57AGIN

YIPEE!!!

57 AGIN is home again.  Now the fun begins again (Is that too many agains? lol).

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

Bob,
  I don't know about you but I've about used up my agains. I don't want to even think about restoring another car. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

the first 57 i painted back in 59,   the bottom blue looks very close to what i used,   and thats to long of a story to tell.    as to Jim Nolan,    if i could find a 32 3 window or 5 window cheap to work on,  and i've got 10 years on ya,   can't just sit around doing nothing.

F570RD

Quote from: JimNolan on 2011-11-04 19:30
Bob,
  I don't know about you but I've about used up my agains. I don't want to even think about restoring another car. Jim

LOL....Me too!

shopratwoody

Good for you Jerry...think I'm about done too. :003: Had my Deuce many moons ago.
I hate blocksanding!