News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

That looks all around great, Doug!! Those wheels with that yellow are perfect. I didn't realize you were one piecing the front end....wish I had  the guts to do that.
What did you use/how did you arrive at the shortened headlight rings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

They are 54 merc headlight rings that Night Prowlers were selling. they were shortened to match the mounting diameter of the ford headlight rings. 54 chevrolet head light buckets mounted from the backside and they were done. It was all just an experiment  that I like the look of so I kept it.

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

Ever since I got this car, I wanted a set of original Yankee tri-bar mirrors. After looking for several years and making one bad purchase, I found a very good pair. They have been on the shelf ever since waiting for the new build to get to the point where they could be used. That day finally arrived, so today I set them up roughly where they would mount, walked back a few yards, looked ,and said. " Oh Crap" I'm not sure they go with the rest of the build. They could be mounted on the door which is where the others were but that made the pass. side useless and I know that once mounted, anywhere, there is no going back due to the 4 #10 screw holes I have to drill to mount them. So I am looking for opinions. Take a look, and if so inclined, treat it like we were just sitting in the garage looking at the car. What would your thoughts be?......   

lalessi1

I tend to agree, I love the mirrors but I don't think they "go with the car".....opinions are worth what you pay for them...... :003:
Lynn

junior58

Hmm, don't think they work in my opinion. Though not sure what would look good there (sorry, not much help)
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

I have to agree...they just don't seem quite right.
Your not alone on the detail stuff...I bought three sets before I decided they looked right...and they were Chevy emblemed! I still have the '56 Ford slant back antenaes that I love, but just can't make up my mind.
By the way, the door mount seems to be working ok for me visability wise, but I did make sure I bought fairly tall mirrors with larger than normal glass which I think helps. They also lean out away from the door a bit.
Kinda along with the visability thing, after driving Connies new Honda, I'm sure liking the back up and side cameras...one of those is in the future for my '57...especially with the rolled pan in back!
I cropped a pic of mine just so you could see what I was talking about. The embossed Ford logo is sticking surprisingly well, btw, lol

57 imposter

Rich....I think yours are more in line with what I am looking for. You don't happen to remember what they are for or where you bought them,do you? If I was building a bone stock version, there would be no question about using these. They just don't fit the mild custom look I have.. The up side is good ones are very hard to find and are expensive when you do.. I priced plating the poor set that I have and Alberta Plating wanted $125.00 per piece to rechrome, and there are 4 pieces for two mirrors so thats $500.00 a pair. So it's probably back to E-Bay for these to see if I can recoup my money. Thanks for the thoughts altho I pretty much knew how it was going to turn out.

RICH MUISE

Socal in Phoenix, lol!! I need to find a close up of what your looking at...
The embossed ford logo was a rectangular aluminum stick-on that I think was for door sill logos. I got them at Socal also...trimmed with scissors.
A note of caution...the logos are available in two sizes, and I'm not sure if the third pic is showing the size I actually used...and I'm not sure if I used the smaller or the larger, but I think I remember trimming the smaller first and it wouldn't quite cover the bowtie. They are also available in either blue or black oval.
BTW, the reason I decided on the door location vs fender was to not have them in the way when working in the engine compartment.

RICH MUISE

I see you're online, so make sure you see the last edits I did on that post.

57 imposter

Thanks i'll check with them. I think I bought some of those Ford logos from Sacramento Vintage way back when I was doing my 56 F-100. They were for the scuff plates. The good news for today is I found an upholstery guy who will make house calls. He is going to come and put the headliner in. After that its front and rear glass. we may make that March trip yet. 

57 imposter

Wow! everything including the part number. You are the man!!

RICH MUISE

Cool...I may get to see it afterall. Connie I think is planning on our next trip being March also...a month earlier than usual. Earlier this year we had to go in March for Uncle Jack's funeral...driving was a nightmare...400 miles of snow/ice. April would be better, not necessarily for the Phoenix weather, but the areas either of us have to drive thru to get there.
BTW, if you do the door mount, remember to mount them away from the vent window path.

57 imposter

I googled the part number and it came up on Socal's web site but couldn't find it on their web page. Guess I'll have to go old school and call them today. Hope I remember how. I think it involves dialing a phone and interacting with a real person.

i

RICH MUISE

You can probably find them on a Chevy parts supplier's site....god knows there's a ton of those around. Posibly even without the bowtie.