News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Doug...I just realized time must be getting close for you to begin your trip. Everything still looking alright...car....Texas? pm me your cell number so I can contact you on the road. pm sent
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

Another one for my "If it ain't one thing, it's another" file. I am getting lousy [19] mileage. A further check shows that my check engine lights are not working which indicates they are not getting a proper ground thru the ECM. The ECM is well grounded directly to the battery. We also can not download any info out of the computer. I suspect it may not be going into closed loop.  The real problem is that these older ECM's are almost impossible to find. We just got all this figured out yesterday so I still have a lot more looking to do on Monday. The engine runs fine so this will have no effect on out road trip other than the fuel bill. But I sure hope to get lucky tomorrow and find a used one to at least try......The one I need, just in case anyone has one laying around, in    E9ZF-12A650-C2A   code  A9P   !988 to 1991 Mustang GT

RICH MUISE

dOUG......This is an incredible website for ECM's....lots of good said about the EEC-iv....which I believe is both of ours.
http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page88.html

click on the EEC program codes and scroll down for a list of vehicles according to the ID code you posted. THE a9p APPEARS TO BE THE KEY.
Hope it helps in your search. This site reaLLY SEEMS TO KNOW THEIR STUFF...MAY BE A SOURCE FOR A UNIT AS WELL.
Sorry about the caps...can't control my fingers apparently.

57 imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-13 16:59
dOUG......This is an incredible website for ECM's....lots of good said about the EEC-iv....which I believe is both of ours.
http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page88.html

click on the EEC program codes and scroll down for a list of vehicles according to the ID code you posted. THE a9p APPEARS TO BE THE KEY.
Hope it helps in your search. This site reaLLY SEEMS TO KNOW THEIR STUFF...MAY BE A SOURCE FOR A UNIT AS WELL.
Sorry about the caps...can't control my fingers apparently.
Checked it out, Lots of good info for the 4.6 but just general stuff for the older 5.0. I have access to two big bone yards, one local and one 160 miles away. I'm going to check with both of them in the morning. If I don't have any luck, I'll worry about it when We get back from vacation. They don't supply any parts or repair.

RICH MUISE

I guess what I was thinking, was if the basiccomputers are the same for many cars(EEC-iv), only the programming being different, then maybe a shop that reflashes computers may have tha ability to change the programming to what you need. Looking at the list of computers they listed for the older 5.0 fords made me think the odds of finding one exactly what you need are slim.

57 imposter

Checked about everywhere available in this area and no luck finding a computer. Put two new O2 sensors on it today and thats it.  As they say, 'it is what it is" and were heading out with it on thursday morning. AMS in Davie FL. will rebuild it and I will probably send it to them after we get back. I may also check with a couple stores in Phoenix. Arizona Speed does EFI stuff and there was another company in the same building that built custom systems but I can't remember their name. I don't have any worries about the thing completing the trip as is but if I can find a fix along the way, all the better.

RICH MUISE

So, I assume yours is OBD I also?
Good luck on the trip. Call me from Phoenix. Enjoy the games! Do you have internet capability on the road?

57 imposter

RICH MUISE

57 imposter

Two days on the road and a little over 1000 miles. Spending the night in Page Az. looking at what is left of Lake Powell. Hard to believe but so far, I am averaging right at 5 mpg better than I was getting before the new O2 sensors I think the ones I took out were probably the original ones so they really didn't owe me much. That is still pretty far from the 28mpg I have,at times, been able to get but its a start. Probably will still send the EEC to Florida when we get home. Off to Scottsdale tomorrow for the Pavilion cruse tomorrow night and on to Tucson on Sunday.

RICH MUISE

That's awesome Doug...congrats. How fast are you driving on average? My comfort zone hasn't gotten up over 65mph yet....lol
Also, talking about gas. Reading a post on the Hamb got me wondering...I haven't filled my car yet, sorta leary of leaks, but at 3/ tank I haven't had any yet. But the Hamb member posted he wasn't able to use the automatic shutoff at the gas station's pumps. Is that the way all old cars are that have the "big neck" all the way down...I'm thinking there's no way backup pressure would build up, so it's probably not a good idea to put it on auto and walk away??
Been in the 60's and 70's here for quite a while, until today. Never got in the 40"s and cold wind. Snow coming in tonight.Not to worry, though..suppose to be in the 80's mid week.
Where are all the pictures?

RICH MUISE

No snow this way Doug! I also found out today the auto shutoff @ gas pumps does work on our '57's so forget that question. Right now your probably looking at palm trees overhanging the Pavilion Cruise...I'm jealous!

57 imposter

Just got back from the cruise. almost all mussel cars much fewer cars than the last time I was was there. we will see about next saturday. I think I mentioned before that my car was running warmer than it did with the old engine.. Well my fears about being in warmer weather have somewhat come true. checking the gauge with when the automatic fan comes on I suspect that I may have a sender issue. climbing the 5 mile hill coming down from Flagstaff, the gauge was sitting right on 225 at the top running the speed limit 65. We have run 75 and a little at 80 but not very much 70-75 is plenty. anyway we head for Tucson in the morning and I am going to try and find a VDO sender cause when I start looking at a temp gauge, I quit having fun. This is my fourth small block Ford and I have never had anything even close to a heating issue so i'm hopeful that it is more of a gauge issue than a cooling problem

RICH MUISE

Sounds like a lower turnout than 3 weeks ago...bummer. I think when I was there it was the biggest I had seen it yet.
Here's an Arizona website that I use. Sorry should have asked ssoner if you had it.
I'm hoping it's just a gage problem for you...any coolant loss? I seem to have the same issue in that I don't know how accurate my gage is. Mine has never got to 200+, and ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think that's hot enough for the computer to put it in normal operating mode.

http://arizonaautoscene.com/events/

57 imposter

my old engine never built any heat and almost never turned the fan on in cool weather.  I may just buy a mechanical gauge and install it for the rest of this trip. VDO has no retailers in this area. I don't mind it running over 200 degrees but I want to know exactly where it is running. I'll have a couple days in Tucson to mess with it.