News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

battery tray

Started by 62galxe, 2011-12-29 09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

Curious about alternative battery mounting. New tray is $90 so I thought I would see what some of your solutions were. Not a lot of room under there with the 390.

rmk57

I put mine in the passenger side trunk. Used #0 welding cable and ran it over the wheel house trough the rocker up to the solenoid. I also wrapped the cable in that spiral plastic you see hydraulic hoses wrapped in. My 460 has 10.50 to 1 compression and needs a fairly stout battery to crank it over so it wasn't going to fit in the stock location.  Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Not a solution..just an idea I had at this point I'm going to check out once I start assembling the front end sheetmetal back on my car. My plans are eventually for the 4.6 dohc engine and the battery tray in stock form I'm told will hit the head, so my thought was to alter the inner wheelwell by building in a box that would let the battery go under the fender behind the headlight. I won't know if it'll interfere with tire clearance until I can mount the wheelwell and actually do some looking and measuring, but I should know pretty soon. My plans were to use an Optima battery that could be mounted on it's side.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Custom300Madman

@62 I too plan on mounting the battery in the trunk after I install the 460.
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

shopratwoody

I like em in the back too. Keeps all that weight of the fender etc. I sure wouldn't want to
pull a wheel to get at it. :003:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

62galxe & Rich:

I think there is plenty of room in the space behind the headlight.  That is where I mounted my pretty good sized K&N air cleaner for the Paxton-Novi supercharger on my 57.  I do think if you do this you should consider a water/gravel/mud/etc. splash shield to keep it from getting nasty when driving.  Here are a couple of photos showing what I'm talking about.  Getting access could be an issue, as it would require removing the tire and splash shield.  But, I don't recall having to access my Optima battery very often after I installed it.  Note: Obviously you wouldn't need the air tube cutout in your splash shield and you can run most of your wiring hidden in the upper portion of the fender.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

My thought was to modify the inner wheel well skirt so that the opening for access was from under the hood, just as it is now, only pushed in under the fender and laying on it's side.
Rich

Custom300Madman

@62 did you just remove the stock tray and do you have any pictures of the rear battery and ground points?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

geraldchainsaw

whats so hot about a Optima battery?

JimNolan

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2012-02-28 08:10
whats so hot about a Optima battery?
Absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Zapato

Quote from: JimNolan on 2012-02-28 08:22
Absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned. Jim

That's exactly what I love about you Jim 100% no Bull****.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Jim...after watching a video on which optima batterty to chose, I'm wondering which one you had a problem with...the red top or yellow top?? before I watched the video I wasn't aware there was apparently a major difference in the two...to the point where the final statement was "if there is any doubt about which one you need...choose the yellow top. Since my engine compartment is red and black, I thought the red and black optima would at least look great, but I'll probably go with the yellow top when that time comes....in fact I think I remember seeing a chrome cover for these.
Are these the only batteries that can be mounted on their side?
Rich

JimNolan

Antique Auto Battery is the world's largest supplier of hard rubber raised-letter batteries and innovators of their non-sticky Poly Tar (R) battery tops. Most of their batteries have a minimum of 780 cold cranking amps to power all the new electronic accessories and audio equipment. All batteries carry a four-year warranty pro-rated after 90 days. Each battery is hand-made for quality, and major battery and O.E. manufacturers officially license all logos. Antique Auto Battery uses Optima battery technology in their replacement batteries for maximum amperage and reliability. This means the average observer will not be able to tell you are using an Optima battery unless they remove the cell caps on the replacement unit.
   Sounds nice doesn't it. One of these babies cost $299 if you get a 29N Power Punch replica case. I used one all the way through the summer. I did notice if I started and stopped the car many times ( like a trip to town with four or five stops) the cranking power seemed to be down. This winter I let it sit for about 20 days in a heated hanger and it wouldn't even try to crank the engine. Then, when I looked up how to charge the optima battery it took a special charger to do it correctly. I have just a small 10/2 amp charger. I needed a charger that delivered 100 amps for a short period of time. I've used Gell Cells before. I had one in my airplane. I needed it for aerobatics. The last one I had lasted 8 years and believe you me it went more than 20 days sitting without problems, and I don't ever remember charging it. The only reason I changed it when I did was because I was flying IFR at the time.
  But, you've got to remember, I'm SPECIAL. There's no one like me. No one would ever have the problems I did with an Optima battery. It's just me. LOL LMAO Jim  CMEOCITA$300D. There's a new pneumonic. Crying my eyes out cause I threw away $300 dollars.

hrsky

I have had my Optima battery for nearly 20 years and it still cranks my 312.  The first 5 years i used it in my 57 Delivery with a 429 and always started.  I'm very happy with my Optimabattery and will for sure buy a new one when its necessary. HR

JimNolan

See, I told you it was only me. Jim