News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

gas

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-01-08 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

is there any gas stations in michigan that still sell straight gas?,   thanks    jerry                 dcan't post new picture,  says file is to large

Frankenstein57

Jerry, I went on pure gas.org , clicked on Michigan and it says 62 stations have it. Didn't see Detroit, but maybe suburbs. You have to poke around on that site to get where you want to go.  Mark :006:

geraldchainsaw

thanks Mark,      found the site,    there are some places around my area,    mostley boat marinas,    and from the years they were always costly,  anywhere fromn 1 to 2 bucks a gal more,   but i'm going for a ride today and check to make sure,  thanks again                                      OK,  this was just a gas station,  and it was 4.29,   not even a boat marina

gasman826

Henry built them T's and A's to run on about anything.  In the early days, there wasn't gas stations on every corner.  There were few if any standards.  That's way there was an enrichment valve (chock) and timing levers within reach of the driver so the car would run on whatever.  Those cars ran on everything from coal oil to ethanol...even rubbing alcohol from the drug store.  When one was out for a drive in the county, travelers would stop at farms to buy a little fuel.  Most early tractors were multi-fuel.  Many farmers had stills to make their own fuel for tractors and stationary power units.  In the mid 30's, the oil companies won out and dominated the country with gasoline stations and Henry quit building multi-fuel cars.  Here in Michigan (as in many other places), we have nearly completely switched over to burning a 90/10 mix of gas and ethanol for many years.  Just recently though, that mix has increased to 85/15.  All of the sudden there are these big scare campains that say this gas will rot your brain as well as your fuel system.  If you have a fifty year old fuel system that has not been maintained regularly and it takes a crap...blame it on the fuel.  If one does not dump the fuel out of the lawn mower or chainsaw and leaves it in storage for a couple of years then wonders way it won't start...blame it on the fuel.  When I ran gas in my car, I did maintenance when I stored the car.  I have ran E85 for five years.  I have stored E85 for a year with no problem.  It does have a different set of rules but very manageable.  The ethanol helps improve the octane and cool in intake charge.  It is not a bad thing just a little different.  It's green, helps keep the money local, helps reduce foreign dependence, it is renewable, and the byproduct is reusable.  If you want to get real creative, the Feds will give you a permit to build your own still!!!!