News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlight housings

Started by Wirenut, 2012-01-21 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

:help: I am in need of the front head light buckets. Any leads would be appreciated.. Thanks

RICH MUISE

Kerby...I don't have any, but if you have some and they are just badly rusted, I can tell you a trick way to repair them.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thanks but these are rotted completely out. All that would be salvagable would be the flat ring that mounts to the fender

RICH MUISE

worse than these? Second pic is a few days later..no welding and no fiberglass.

Wirenut

Unfortunately yes. a lot worse. I do think you did an impressive repair on the one in the photo.

RICH MUISE

Thanks..what you are looking at in the first photo is a walmart bag filled with wet sand and packed tight, held in place with a piece of cardboard taped around the edges. The wet sand will allow you to reform the lace-thin metal to it's proper shape. The tube next to the pod is por-15 "por-patch". It's a thickened version of the regular por-15. About 4 coats with a 5 or 6 hour drying time in between. A little sanding with a small disc sander, a final coat of por-15, and you end up with something so strong rapping it with your knucles can't tell the difference between the solid metal and the repaired area. Being por-15 pretty much ensures it's a permanent repair. Keep the repair area in as much a horizontal position as you can when applying the por patch to minimize runs.
It sounds like yours are too far gone for this proceedure, but maybe this will help someone else.
Rich

Ford Blue blood

Rich I did a similar thing with the head light buckets on my 36.  They were holed a little more then yours, sand blasted them inside and out, smeared bondo on the outside with a bag of sand on the inside of the bucket, after it kicked pulled the bag and did a heavy smear on the inside.  Sanded the outside to shape, smoothed the inside, painted the inside and of course the outside and that repair has been in place since 1976.  That car has spent much of it's life outdoors and they are still as good as the day I finished them.

Yup, my 36 Chevy with a 351C/FMX/Granada 8"/Must II front suspension.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Wirenut

Great Idea. I will keep in mind. Thanks for the info. I am sure it will come in handy down the road..

Partsman

Do you need just the buckets or also the retaining rings and springs?  I am sure I have a set as I have parted out several cars.  Let me know and we will make arraignments.
Send me a Pm with headlight's as subject.
Bill

Wirenut

Thanks Partsman, I located and ordered a set from a company last night..I appreciate your response..