News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Do I have to have my 312 machined orncan I wait?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-22 13:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

It runs car has 90k who knows if the odometer has rolled, because my dad doesn't remember. 312 runs looks like some seepage dorm a freeze plug. The oil was caked so hard and layered so thick I had to chisel it off.

Question since it runs can I just put a newmgasket kit on it and drive it for a year or two until I can afford to do it right?

Q-2 if the gasket kit won't simply work what's the lower budget freshen up kit consist of.

-Keith
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Custom300Madman

Sorry for the typos the iPad isn't the best to type on.

Alex L.

Where was the oil caked on like that? pan, lifter valley or valve covers?

i guess you could try cleaning it right out and getting all of the old oil crap out and then trying to run it. The engine itself will tell you better if it will run than anyone on a website.

JPotter57

Your call, but I would start buying parts.  A new main bearing set now costs about $250, Clevite has discontinued them.  If you find some, you'd better grab them.
I may use a 292 block and go from there, as mains are still reasonable, just have my crang turned down to fit the 292 mains.  I have 2 3122s to build, didnt realize they'd gotten so expensive to build.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Custom300Madman

@Alex on the sides of the block by the starter and generator. As well as the engine crossmember and a arms.

The engine runs well, just the thought of a 55 year old engine screams rebuild!

shopratwoody

I've done many poor mans rebuild ( rings, bearings and a valve job that have ran good for many years. If
it runs good take a look when u tear it down.
I hate blocksanding!

Custom300Madman

@Woody cool man, I want to go with the cheap man rebuild then. Just for a couple summers. I noticed some times when I had the engine in the car I would crank it and before she fired up the start would spool loudly like rawwwwwnnnnnnnn then I'd wait and it would engage again but after thre or four seconds of cranking rawwwwnnnn again. They all sound that way or is this one old as well.

Custom300Madman

If I do decide to tear it apart, do the head bolts need replaced if I take them out? I know they need torques back in sequence and to spec. I just don't think I'm ready for a tear down as I know my wallet is not.

shopratwoody

Clean them up with a wire wheel. Run a tap down the threads of block. Lightly lube and
re torque.
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Those are not "torque to yeild" head bolts like the new engines use.  As shopratwoody says clean it all up and go for it.  As long as there are no galls they can be reused forever.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Custom300Madman

Would I replace the starter due to the rawwww spooking sound or do they all sound like that? Are the water pump and oil pump replaced inna standard low. Budget freshen up procedure?

Custom300Madman

Also of it turns out that the cars engine has 190xxx rather than 90k am I risking an engine failure without doing a clean high dollar rebuild?

shopratwoody

That milage is a little high for what I suggested.
I hate blocksanding!

Custom300Madman

Well I pulled the carb intake fuel pump and the cover plate that's under neath the intake. There's sludge where the fpump arm goes in and sludge where the push rods go down. I'll try and minimize the pictures so I can upload them on here. It looks like there was a aftermarket kit put on for the oil valve lubricant issue at rocker arm.

shopratwoody

The oiler is a bandaid. If it was clean it wouldn't need it. Might as well do it right. Check
the rockers and shafts for wear also. Have fun
I hate blocksanding!