News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

antenna

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-01-24 09:34

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,   its not new,  but heres a picture of my antenna mounted in place of the orig antenna,   made mounting block out of aluminum to fit over the ridge on top of fender,   sshimming antenna to right heigth so all matched,  used a O ring under top mounting nut,  any way this is what i ended up with,     o,  one other thing,   i won't know until it happens, but,  those who said they don't last long,  could it be because when you wash the car u don'tcover the top of the antenna and it gets water in?,     just a thought,   jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I'm not easily impressed. But, you're work on the antenna IMPRESSES me. Good job. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Zapato

Gerry, glad to see you finally got it sorted out. Now to answer your question on lifespan of aftermarket versus oem products. The oems even though driven by bean counters actually insist on a higher quality part. Warranty work costs are borne by the factory and its not parts replacement only but also labor. Your antenna if it fails the part house will replace it and you will have in most cases be forced to eat your labor. And since its an electrical component they may not accept it back at all. So if it fails more often than not the buyer eats it and the manufacturer still has your money. All you got was a rotten taste. Which is one reason I hunt in wrecking yards, used cars being parted out locally or online and resort to parts houses last or only when it doesn't make sense not to.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Nice neat job Gerry.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Great job Jerry. I just prefer the original. :002:
I hate blocksanding!

JeauxBleaux

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2012-01-24 09:34
ok,   its not new,  but heres a picture of my antenna mounted in place of the orig antenna,   made mounting block out of aluminum to fit over the ridge on top of fender,   sshimming antenna to right heigth so all matched,  used a O ring under top mounting nut,  any way this is what i ended up with,     o,  one other thing,   i won't know until it happens, but,  those who said they don't last long,  could it be because when you wash the car u don'tcover the top of the antenna and it gets water in?,     just a thought,   jerry