News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear Main Seal

Started by Curt J, 2007-07-19 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Curt J

I recently installed a low mileage 312 in my 57 ragtop. It had only around 50,000 actual miles on it, and came out of a 56 Thunderbird. This engine runs extremely well, but had not been started for about three years. The old "rope" rear main bearing seal is now leaking.....a Y-block trait I well remember from my misspent youth. I understand that there is a better cure for this than installing another 50 year old rope seal. A modified Mopar seal? Does someone here have info on this???

cool57

You could sell me the car... :003:

Hoosier Hurricane

Best Gaskets makes a silicone rubber seal for the 312 which I have had good luck with.  Their latest product is a teflon rope seal, it's too new to tell, but apparently works well on other brand engines.

John

DanTudor57

Old post, but wanted to add my two cents..

Best Gaskets' silicone rubber seal works great. I installed it after 3 failed rope type installs. No more oil slicks under my 312. I recommend it.

dave362

I had good luck with this neoprene rear main seal from www.partsdinosaur.com,
my 1954 256 Y-block (car was a 312 originally and
somehow this engine got in there) used to be the "Exxon Valdez" until this was installed.

Y-Block FORD 292 Rear Main Seal       JV748 -VIC

Dave
1957 Ford Club Sedan :003:

Curt J

Believe it or not, the rear main seal problem has pretty much cured itself after some use. I'm guessing that after it got soaked up with oil, it expanded a little. A good friend of mine tells me that they used to make a product specifically for this problem, that could be added to the engine oil. He said he believed NAPA used to sell it. He used it in a flathead that leaked severely and cured it in under 50 miles. Does anyone know anything about this?