News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fender price

Started by Wirenut, 2012-02-20 21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Can anyone tell me what a front fender in descent condition with surface rust  would sell for. I am looking for one and a supplier I located with one is wanting 650.00..  I have no idea if that is fair or not since they are hard to come by. Opinions welcome.... Thanks

JimNolan

That seems a little high to me but best thing to do is figure out what yours needs and see how much to fix it. I imagine if you got bottom fender rust you'll need inner and outer bottom fender panels, headlight area top cover and maybe the headlight bucket. After figuring it all up do you need someone to weld it for you and do the finish work. You won't get a better idea of what it's worth but you can get an idea of what you're willing to pay for it. It's worth as much as he can get out of it. I'd think $400.00 would be enough. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

I guess I must be out in the dark here.  Even 400 would be too much, IMHO.  For 400 that bad boy had better be near perfect!  Not NOS but really clean!  For just a little over twice his asking price for the fender I purchased an entire 57 2Dr Ht with near perfect sheet metal (James saw the car, he can voutch for how nice it was).......am I out in left field here?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

No, you're not out in left field. You're playing short stop with the infield pulled in. Everything depends on how bad he needs it. If you've got plenty of time it's not imperative that you lay out that kind of money. But, if it's in the body shop and the painter is waiting for you to make a decision it puts a little more pressure on the situation. When I got my car restored I thought the body was pretty good and never thought about accumulating parts beforehand. After the old paint was peeled off it turned into a nightmare to where I wished I'd never bought the car. If he's got time, everything can be cheaper. Jim

gasman826

Left one just sold on eBay in the Detroit area for $225.  Claimed to be good with small dents, local pickup.  I was somewhat interested but I already have a spare.  If I had needed it, I would have been all over it.

RICH MUISE

Kerby, I think 650 is a bit high at this point in your build for the reasons both Jim and Bill made. The problem with buying a fender sight unseen is the rust problems start from the inside out, so "surface rust"...which on many parts is not a problem...may not be an indication of what shape the fender is actually in. The fender problem areas are almost imposible to get a good photo of, so you're going to be relying entirely on the seller. The fenders will build up with mud on the backside of the headlight panel and behind the lower fender brace, and unless the fender has been scrapped clean on the inside and probed, even the seller may not be aware of problems.
To repair a rusted fender you're looking at over 400 in patch panels, plus a ton of work...so in that respect 650 is not high...I just think there are better deals out there if you got the time.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

I looked up my build expense folder on the 57 from EMS. $305.00 not counting the man's time for welding and finishing. Would I have paid $400 for a fender that was good. Yes. I think me and Chad both would have been happy to get them. $650.00 has Blue Blood and me playing near the fence in left field. Jim
174L Lower front fender------$65
172L Upper fender cap-------$120
173L Headlight Bucket-------$120

Wirenut

I appreciate the interaction and the responses gentlemen. I have spent a lot of time on the fender I have but am unhappy with the repair at the headlight section, so I decided to look at a complete fender replacement. I was surprised at the price thinking I could get something for a couple of hundred. I agree Rich I would be taking a chance on a replacement site unseen and with photos only. I have decided after reading your responses to attempt another shot at the one I have. I am so close to rolling it out of the garage to a paint shop that I thought I'd just purchase a fender and be done. Not as simple as I thought..I did find one on craigs list in Ohio for 200.00 but the guy e-mailed me that he would not ship and was borderline rude when I spoke to him on the phone.  Thanks again guys fot the input,I will give this one another shot.

Zapato

Believe you're making the right decision specially as one of my rules is never give my money to a rude jerk. One thing for sure you'll know what you have under the paint.

Reminds of a guys signature on the HAMB............. Perfect is the enemy of Good...................... and some things are worth doing over.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 imposter

man these sheet metal repairs can add up fast. I have a guy offering me a complete front clip with "usual" fender rust and a dash  for 350.00 I am trying to make conections with him so I can go look at it. Even if I don't use the fenders, the rest may be worth the money.

57AGIN

Guys:

Don't know if you have a media blast place close to you, but  for probably less than $50.00 you would know for sure and get rid of all the rust & bondo at the same time.  You will then have a piece that you can trust and if prepped right never have to worry about again.  I don't know what you have done so far with your fender to arrive at a decision to replace it, so just thought I'd add a thought from a different direction.

Bob
57 AGIN