News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater Hose Routing

Started by JimNolan, 2012-03-01 09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I need another set of eyes here. I've always had trouble with heat being generated from my heater core in my 57 during the summer with the heat valve shut off. I open the vents to negate it but I'd like to not have it coming in the passenger compartment. I have seen a lot of old cars with petcocks mounted on the hoses to shut the flow of water from the intake. Do you guys with 57's have heat from the heater core coming into the passenger compartment also, even with the heater valve shut off
I've made a drawing showing the way my heater hoses are hooked up. Figure "A" is the way a 63 Thunderbird was hooked up and the way I did my 57. Figure "B" is the way the 63 Galaxie was and is now hooked up. I haven't drove it during the summer yet so I don't have any idea if it is a better way. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. Also, the return line going to the water pump. Is there suction on this line created by the water pump. I've never had a reason before to find out. Jim 
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57AGIN

Jim:

I believe my 57's hooked up to the dealer installed heater according to your "B" drawing.  See attached photo.

Bob
57 AGIN

57 imposter

Jim  In diagram A they are using the heater hose in lieu of the bypass hose usually run between the intake mfld and the water pump.  I would think you could get some warming of the water in your return line with this set up.  With the engine bypass hose installed at the water pump, drawing B should allow no heat into the heater core when the valve is closed.  One thing you might want to check is the condition of your shutoff valve. I have found a surprising number of them that will leak when closed and a very little leaked hot water into your heater core will be noticeable.

JimNolan

57 imposter,
   The water pump bypass is hooked up. I just didn't include it in the drawing. It's a normal stock water pump. I think what I'll do is change the intake fitting from a dual port to a single port and hook it up like figure "B". If I still get heat from the heater core I'll put a valve in like Bob's between the intake and carburetor spacer. You can't imagine how hot it get's when it's 90 degrees outside and the heats on when your sitting in traffic. Jim PS Bob, you're car looks so nice. Are you sure you want to drive it. LOL

wv 57s forever

does your water pump have 2 fittings? if so is the top out or the bottom.

JimNolan

Allen,
   You just have two ports on an FE water pump for heater hose. One is a bypass line that goes into the intake. The other is on the top right side for the heater core return hose. Jim

Ford Blue blood

Jim both the 62 I had and my 65 Bird have the cut off valve in the return line not the supply line as your drawing.  Not saying either of mine are the right way, just an obsevation.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

If it doesn't matter which line the shut-off valve is on, wouldn't a supply line cut-off be better in case of leakage problems with the heater. I'm just thinking if you were on a road trip and something happened, you could shut the supply line down and fix it when you got home...or not??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wv 57s forever

oops ment 3 outlets and also ment on a small block.

JimNolan

Guys,
  I ordered a new cable controlled inline shut-off valve from Summit to replace the one I have. I also have a manual inline shut-off coming. As far as which line to put the shut-off in, the supply side is correct, at least the information I've read says so. But in my case it doesn't matter. I've got a Y-pipe in the return line of the Heater Core. That Y-pipe recieves circulating hot water from the intake side. To put it in perspective it's like this. You're sitting in a tub of bath water when you decide the waters too cold. You turn on the hot water and you find you can't leave your feet down there because the water's too hot. But, your butt is still cold. It takes a few minutes but soon the temp of all the water is the same and it's hotter. I believe I'm suffering more heat in my heater core because the circulating hot water at the Y-pipe is a constant heat source (180 degrees) . I think I'll install the new cable controlled shut-off and hook it up like figure "B". Jim PS If the shut-off were on the return line you've also got 180 degree water feeding the heater core as in the bath tub effect.

geraldchainsaw

just my 2 cents worth,      when i first got my car one of the first things i did was change the heater water hoses and heater control valve,   dosen't matter if i have a conv and never use the heater,  i don't have any problems with heat coming in the car,  may be its just normal engine heat you feel,  like i said,   my 2 cents,   jerry

JimNolan

Got another question: Does any air come into the passenger compartment from the outside other than the manually controlled vents. It's been a while but I don't remember the heater or defroster getting air from the outside. Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

The heater draws air from the grille in front of the windshield, same as the vents.

John

JimNolan

John,
    Is it a square box type affair with a rubber seal. Jim

RICH MUISE

Something I learned here a few months ago..whether or not your heater draws air from the outside depends on whether or not it's a factory installed heater. The dealer installed heater had the delete plate in the top (cowl)hole of the firewall and did not draw air from the cowl or the outside. Those of you with the factory installed heaters that used both firewall holes drew fresh air from the cowl/grille  as John stated.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe